Does anyone have an IMDB Pro Account?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Coreece
      Participant

Hello,

I can’t really justify getting an IMDB Pro account right now, but was wondering if anyone would be so kind to give me some production specs on the following HBO Series:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1248883/

I’m interested in the production company, director, writer, and producer…as well as any other pertinent info if you so desire.

They’re filming thisseries right down the street from me and I’d like to take this opportunity to make some contacts without being so annoying and poking my nose around the set without any info….ya know?

Here’s the HBO link:

http://www.hbo.com/events/hung/about.html

Coreece
      Participant

Neverio-mind…

I got my info I was looking for…. 🙂

composite1

Coreece,

If you didn’t know or do it already, you can get a ‘Pro Account’ for 14 days during the trial period. Just cancel it before the period is over so you don’t get charged.

Coreece
      Participant

Thanks, Composite….

It might be time for me to just get an account…there has been a significant increase in film production around here (Michigan) because of the tax breaksof 42% for various media projects, and they are actually starting to builda 146 million dollar film studio thisMay (Unity Studios). They say they aren’t messing around and will be finished in October.:)

Right now they have hired thousands of laid-off construction workers to build the complex. When finished, there will be more jobs building the actual movie/gameshow sets….

composite1

Coreece,

Don’t ask me why I thought you were a Brit.

I’ve had an IMDB Pro account off and on since 2005. When I’m not doing funding research and such, that $12.95 a month turns into a flippin’ bill and get’s cut. Good to hear their building a new studio near you. Sounds like you’d best get a fine pair of brass knuckles because the comp is going to be playing for keeps.

Coreece
      Participant

“Don’t ask me why I thought you were a Brit.”

Maybe because I used the word “bollocks” in a couple threads…I learned that word from a Brit in a political debate forum.

“Good to hear their building a new studio near you. Sounds like you’d best get a fine pair of brass knuckles because the comp is going to be playing for keeps.”

Yeah I hear ya…

I gotta get some movie experience…I’ve primarily just worked with television and commercials.

When I was in California,I was involvedin the DVD process for almost every big filmproduced between 2005-2006, but that really isn’t saying much because there are so many people involved in the DVD process and nobody really has a significant role….it’s like an assembly matrix….all the parts get sent out to hundreds, maybe thousands of different people simaltaneoulsy worldwide and when finished they all get sent back simaltaneously for mass production.

Did you know they have full out massive corporations with offices around the world that just deal specifically with subtitles and closed captions…..lol…..I couldn’t believeit.

Neither could I believe the setup for the HBO seriesFor which I was inquiring…..They had 3 mini-semi trucksloaded with equipment, a portable construction company, cranes and lights the size of hula hoops that illimunated a Church 200ft in the Air….Down the street they had 2 more semi trucks loaded withequipment and 3 mobile homesset up…..It looked like they were going to be here for weeks…but guess what….all that equipment was for only about 10 HOURS!!!! Including Set-up and Strike!

I saw an add for a Film PA just recently…..it said: “must be up at the crack of dawn and and be ready to kick ass…” These guys don’t mess around AT ALL….very serious too…..they gotta be….they know EXACTLY what they want.

Neways….where you from composite?

composite1

“Neither could I believe the setup for the HBO seriesFor which I was inquiring…..”

Coreece,

Yeah, HBO is no doubt the big time. Big actors, big crews, big gear, big money. However, you being a (don’t take this wrong) a small time operator you have a number of advantages over many of the outfits that work with HBO.

1. Low overhead. A far greater percentage of your money, resources and efforts can go into getting your production values up because you won’t be forking over significant amounts to your talent and to the ‘machinery’ (to paraphrase you) that comes along with the making of your film.

2. Limited approval pipeline. Just like that army of people you mentioned that it takes to get one DVD done, there’s a ‘Brigade’ of people in the approval pipeline of big time filmmaking. Studio heads, censors, a long line of producers, writers, the director and actors (if they’re big enough) are waiting patiently for their turn at the ‘input’ barrel. Being small time, you’re ‘pipe’ will be too short for a ‘line’ as you will probably have no more than 3 – 5 people involved with any major input (writer, director, investor(s)) besides yourself. Makes it a lot easier and cheaper to get stuff done when the decisions can get done quickly.

3. Creative freedom. This should probably be part of #2 but it’s pretty significant. Because you are small time, damn near any idea you can come up with provided you can summon the resources, you can do. Most important, to a high degree you can make it your way. I say that because there will still have to be compromises made if nothing more than to just be practical. Your film will be much better because of those compromises.

4. Nimbleness. This one probably falls under all of the above, but it’simportant enough to mention singularly. Being small means you can make your plans, accquire materials / gear, locations, etc. in a fraction of the time the big timer’s do and for a lot less. Takes way more work mind you. However, having the ability to get in and get out in a day or two on location for fractions less money… #@$%!! priceless.

The drawbacks are legion. Yet, dragons do get slain. You’ll have to put in far more time andeffort. Not to mention wear potentially ‘dozens of hats’ during the process all while recruiting competent and creative people to help do the heavy lifting. Everytime I get a project done, I always look behind me and expect to see a ‘Conan’ sized pile of bodies behind me. It’s hard, hard, hard work. But, if ‘you’re in it to win it’ you find yourself looking forward to donning the ol’ ‘brassies’ one more time.

“Neways….where you from composite?”

Check out my company site it’ll bring you up to speed.

http://www.dreadedenterprises.com

Coreece
      Participant

good points….the truth is, the whole time I was checking out the large scale set, I kept asking myself, “is all this really necessary?”

Surely one could produce something comparable using just half of all this equipment….but I guess since it’s HBO, why not go BIG….plus it’s nice to have people with deep pocketsto keep hoards of people employeed.

I’ll admit…I get rather excided and wide-eyed at the scale of these productions and I suppose I would like to be a part of one at least once….but there is definately something to say about smaller companies that take on national TV contracts working with a nice tight 15-20 man crew (family)…not to mention a little more cash for the little guys. I don’t think we hadone newbie P.A/intern that made less than 150 per day….250 on the weekends…..but as you said, we all had to bust ass that much more to produce the quality and earn that cash…..many hats indeed!

Thanksfor the link to your site…I’m checking it out now.

Cheers,

Corey

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap