Does 30p frame mode have significant advantage for web use?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Does 30p frame mode have significant advantage for web use?

• This topic has 2 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 15 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Does anyone have knowledge of whether this advantage really exists and how significant it might be?

This is all I’ve been able to find so far (Excerpted from Panasonic literature.)

"…like the AG-DVX100… That camera gives the producer the ability to also shoot content at 30p, which is ideal for the production of streaming video or downloadable video."

-and-

"The 30p capture mode is also ideal for the production of streaming video or downloadable video or as a component of flash animations, due to its very high efficiency in compressing to a low bit rate, and compatibility with computer graphics software applications."

Most of my video work is distributed on the web, using either Flash or Clipstream, so I’m considering 30p capability in my next camera if it would be a real advantage.

Inactive

Yes, any progressive format (be it 12, 15, 24, 30, or 60p) yields better web video than interlaced video does.

It has to do primarily with the viewing medium. Most modern computer monitors are progressive scan, natively.

Compression is also a biggie: a video that originates in the progressive format goes thru a small amount of recompression to reach the web. Interlaced video "fields" have to be deinterlaced to display properly. The process cuts resolution significantly. In progressive video, you record whole frames to begin with. Well, it’s a bit more complicated, but that’s another page…

-ab

Inactive

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I’ll have to rent a DVX100 and do some testing to see if it’s worth investing in one. Any idea what would make a valid test procedure?

Hmmm, if I pitched it just right maybe I could get the company to rent an SDX900 for my "testing".

Naahhh.

Michael

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap