Do Videographers ever need/use outside music/audio help?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Do Videographers ever need/use outside music/audio help?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi there~
      I need some "real world" advice.

I have a little digital camcorder and work with Premier (just Elements) and Sony Vegas but I know only enough about video production and editing to know that I don’t know much about video production and editing. But I DO know a bit about sound and writing music.

Are commercial videographers typically self contained "do everything themselves" types or is the nature of the business such that it is sometimes practical to sub out audio/music/sound production parts of a video project?

I know that question is the perfect setup for a "Yes/No/Maybe/Depends/whaddya think I’m some kind of MGM?!?!?!" response, but I really would like some education on the typical video project work flow and under what conditions it would be beneficial / cost efficient for a small business videographer to utilize someone else to work with the soundtrack, or provide an original music bed, etc.

Here are my assumptions:
      1. It’s human nature to be more comfortable with doing everything yourself if possible
      2. Off the rack sound libraries are, I’m sure, a popular solution when music is needed
      3. To the Client, it may not make a difference how the sound is put together, or if they do care, they may not be able to discern good from bad.
      4. To the Videographer, Audio/music quality may or may not be much of a concern or problem with a typical video project
      5. Budget, or lack thereof, is ALWAYS a concern or problem with a typical video project

But imagine a scenario where
      1. the clients really would like the "premium sound package"
      2. There’s enough in the budget to pay a little something out
      3. The videographer knows about spot sessions or in general knows how to communicate what they want
      4. The music/audio guy knows how to listen and interpret what the video guy wants
      5. The musid/audio guy is given the video and dialogue and can judge for himself where music and FX, etc. would help.
      5. The music/audio guy is available, good enough and fast enough to avoid a negative impact on the video guy’s workflow
      6. The addition of the music, narration/voiceover, sound fx – whatever – really did help make the final product that much better

…. ????? ….. does that exist? Or could it exist?

Or should the question be: "What would be required in order for a video guy to find it beneficial to work with a music guy?"

…or should I just go slink back to the audio forums and leave you visualists alone?!?!?! :-//

I really would value some enlightenment on the reality and liklihood of a videographer (I do surely hope I’m using the correct term) outsourcing a bit.

Inactive

IMO, there is a pretty simple answer to this.

It will always boil down to how much money a client is willing to pay?

Hell, you could get John Williams and the Boston Pops orchestra to put a score together if you want but it will cost a few dollars more then say a song from Smartsound’s Romance & Reflections collection.

You have to keep this in mind too. Let’s say a potential client is out there that doesn’t have a lot of money to spend for a videographer. Price will most likely be the major concern here. For instance, if let’s say I quoted $2800.00 with tastefully done royalty free music like you get with a Smartsound product, and you quoted $5000.00 because you have to pay some small group or a guy playing custom made musi, who do you think this customer will lean towards?

Of course you could take less money for yourself to offset the money you need to give to the musical group, but that would hurt after awhile when you look at your bottom line.

Most vieographers would rather do everything themselves.

RAM

Inactive

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I’m sure it’s pretty much always that gosh darn ol’ "money" thing.
      I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a project where sound was going to be done anyway, and that it would be a case where paying me to do whatever needed to be done was cheaper than the value of the videographer’s time.

I’d have to be fast, and would have to produce something better than the video guy could in the alloted period of time. The thought being that, instead of spending that time working on audio, the video guy could be doing video work on a different project.

But then you have to go through all the explanations and other hassles of dealing with another person and for a small thing it probably wouldn’t be worth it. But if you had enough of a workload, and a good relationship with the other guy, and didn’t particularly enjoy playing with sound anyway, then…..but…that’s a lot of "ifs ands or buts"

I’m located basically in LA – actually more west toward Ventura but this whole part of the world is considered "LA".

Hey, Hank! Stigler, OK? Can’t say I spent much time there, but I grew up in Ponca City, did the OU thing, etc. Moved out here after being on the road playing in Indiana and getting snowed in Greentown for four days. That did it for me. I have since lost any ability I ever had in dealing with cold weather. I’m afraid I have become a California Weather Wuss…. but really, snow is a LOT better when it’s optional.

I noticed that "Robbers Cave" is not far from Stigler. A friend in OKC was telling me not that long ago that it’s a neat place.

At any rate, hopefully I’ll get a few more responses as it’ll be interesting to get a feel for how large (small?) a role sound plays in the "typical" video product.

And, for the record, I would be willing to accept a significantly smaller amount than Mr. Williams!

Thanks again, guys, and continued success ~ ggg

Inactive

Gary,

You know if you did hook up with a video guy and you both put together some amazing above and beyond the normal looking stuff, you could possibly pull this off but you would be looking at a different client base then maybe a normal wedding videographer would be. You know that ones that have money!

Dont throw in the towel just yet!

_R_

Inactive

I own and use most of the Digital Juice music library. I’ve found that it comes in handy when you need a quick mood-setting music bed. Their stuff is good too.

Inactive

I’m in the process of producing a demo set geared toward the music libraries, so it’s good to know I should check out Digital Juice.

May I ask how much time is spent on the process of adding any additional music tracks? Finding the cut(s) you want, editing to length, etc. I’m sure it’s fairly quick – I’m just curious as to what percentage of a total project’s production time is spent on sound related work.

Thanks for the input!

-G

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap