Do I need a licence to shoot and publish videos on my website?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques Do I need a licence to shoot and publish videos on my website?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am about launching a small video website (blog) but am wondering if I need a licence before I can go around shooting videos. My videos will
      be documentary style footages and may involves images of people, places, events etc in London. Do I need broadcasting rights?

My business is not registered and I dont plan to register it since its just a personal pass time thing ( a personal blog).

I am well aware I need people’s consent before I publish any videos/ images of them.

Participant

you may need some sort of documentation/license to film in certain public locations depending on the scope of production and especially if it involves certain types of props like toy guns, but you won’t need a license to post it up on the blog….if anyone tells you otherwise…tell em to piss off…if they have the authority to take it down, then let them take it down, then start a commotion and break a window. πŸ˜‰

btw…I think it’s a bunch of bollocks they way the news here has been portrayingLondonlike it’s in chaos because of the G20 summit.A couple peoplejust decided to busted a window while there where dozens of reporters standing around,big deal….otherwise it seemed to be a relatively peaceful protest….I even heard it was more like a festival…Am I wrong, Just Curious?

I bet it would’ve been fun to capture that.

Ibexy,

In the US you don’t need a license but you may need written permission to shoot in certain places (i.e. permit.) In most of the other countries it’s the same or at least you have to let certain public or governmental offices know what you are doing and where you will be shooting. Ideally, when you shoot famous buildings you almost always have to get permission particularly if you are not official press covering an event like the one Coreece just described. Also, it’s generally a good idea when you video people to get a written release or at minimum get them to say it’s okay on tape. Easier to do during an interview, tougher during crowd shots. Usually, during a public event in a public place most times it’s viewed as okay to video (showing up with professional looking gear can make it easier to not get hassled.) According to US copyright law once you’ve turned the footage into a unique edited program you are instantly considered the copyright holder and may exhibit, sell or distribute it as you please. However, to protect your rights you must register the program for official copyright. Since you will have posted the program to your unique website, it will be considered as ‘published’ giving you further proof of your rights of ownership. Things that will get you in trouble are showing name branded item logos or products without the written permission of the copyright holder (odds are you didn’t get COKE or NIKE’s permission to show their logo on that couple’s t-shirts in your video.) The big companies are absolute Nazi’s when it comes to copyright infringement and they don’t care what country you come from or whether you were ‘ignorant’ of the rules.

Inactive

Thnx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap