You're using a beta version of our new web site.

Disk Drives for video editing

Home Forums General Video and Film Discussion Disk Drives for video editing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BruceMol 8 months ago.

• Author

ProducerLinda
    Participant

Hello All,I am going to buy either a Dell XPS630 0r Dell XPS730XH2C. This computer will be used for everyday computing,gaming,video editing of High Definition.I am going to have four drives.Is the following a good configeration? Drive one:1.5TB partitioned into one partition for operating system,one partition for applications and programs,and one partition for My Documents.Drive two:1.5TB for capturing,loading,and editing.Drive three:1.5TB for capturing,loading,and editing.Drive 4:1.5TB for video storage.Thank you.

BruceMol
    Participant

Well I guess everyone has their preferences for drives and things. I like the DELL you suggested though if I were you I’d hold off and see what they can offer in the Intel i7 920 CPU. Reports are good for price/performance value.

I’m not a big fan of drive partitions, but I am a big fan of using seperate drives for programs, capturing/editing, storage. If it was me, I’d get a small drive for programs 500Gb is small now right? The two 1.5Tb’s should last a while but a fourth drive, I don’t know.

I use a 200GB & 750GB in my computer, and the remainder of my drives are external eSata drives. I have a 500GB archive drive, and a750 for projects upcoming (captured stuff). Lastly I have two 1Tb drives that I do back ups on each month. I mean, at any given time I have a 1 Tb drive in the safety deposit box of my bank. Having all your drives in one case is like having all your eggs in one basket.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.