Directly watching VHS casette on my Laptop

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Actually, nameless winky-smiley person (apparently hailing from Winnipeg) is right–you could use a camcorder with a DV passthrough to do that. There are a few other boxes on the market that do that (notably made by ADS Technology, Canopus, Pinnacle Systems). However, a number of them have to be plugged into the wall. It sounds like what you might be looking for is a small TV tuner that also happens to have an A/V input. The two names that readily come to mind are Hauppauge and Pinnacle Systems (though there are certainly others-neither of these quick lists of product manufacturers constitutes a complete list).

Inactive

Hi,

This is my first post here, i hope i am posting it in the right section, I am newbie in this and need your help πŸ˜‰

I want to buy an external hardware which can connect through USB or Firewire to my laptop, which allows me to watch directly my old VHS movies on my laptop, or to watch my digital satellite receiver on my PC…

In fact this is my main intention (to directly convert analogue to digital and have the movie played on my Laptop’s screen somewhat good image), but if the same hardware comes with a software having the possibility of recording my VHS to DVD, it would be a great plus for me, again i am not expert in that… I hope i am not asking the most stupid question in this forum :-//

My budget is between $100 to $150, i can go a bit higher if it really makes difference…

any help is highly appreciated..

Regards,
      Nakkoush

Inactive

if your camcorder has analoge pass thru feature, you could use it (in vcr mode) to capture analoge video…got your manuals handy?

Inactive

;0) Wrote:

if your camcorder has analoge pass thru feature, you could use it (in vcr mode) to capture analoge video…got your manuals handy?

No, no,
      sorry but you completly understood me wrong, maybe i didn’t know how to post…
      In the simplest way: what i want to do is to use my PC’s screen as a monitor… to play back directly my old VHS movie…
      another example, my Satellite receivers comes with 2 audio RCA output and one yellow color for video, right? how can i connect these RCA’s connectors (which are analogue) to my Laptop through firewaire if possible or USB 2 ?

Inactive

cfulton Wrote:

Actually, nameless winky-smiley person (apparently hailing from Winnipeg) is right–you could use a camcorder with a DV passthrough to do that. There are a few other boxes on the market that do that (notably made by ADS Technology, Canopus, Pinnacle Systems). However, a number of them have to be plugged into the wall. It sounds like what you might be looking for is a small TV tuner that also happens to have an A/V input. The two names that readily come to mind are Hauppauge and Pinnacle Systems (though there are certainly others-neither of these quick lists of product manufacturers constitutes a complete list).

something like this will it work for me?

Canopus ADVC-110 A/D CONVERTER
      http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3826967

or

Plextor ConvertX PX-M402U Digital Video Converter
      http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/masterid=3826967/id_type=masterid

The problem is that, i cannot find whether i can directly use it to watch at the same time it is converting my analogue movies to digital ones

Inactive

What i need for you experts here, is to lead me to the best hardware to buy…

any experience with the hardwares i mentioned above?
      the first one is more than my budget!
      the second one, i am afraid to go for it, unless i hear a recomendations here concerning it…

Participant

Try Voyetra Turtle Beach Adavantge USB, it powers up via USB port. It’s coming with Full Cup software you can use to watch/capture videos.

Unsolicited Critique of the Wedding Videos on YouTube.com

Participant

Actually there is a product (around $150 & $200) on the market now that connects (wirelessly or wired)your TV/VCR/Cable/Satalite signal dirctly to your PC.

They have them at CompUSA and Circuit City (possible Best Buy). It’s a hand little contraption actually. If you’ve been there recently you have probably seen one but didn’t know what it was.

It looks like a toy keyboard but over sized.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&No=100&N=200139&product_code=341938&Pn=SlingBox_PRO

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&No=100&N=200139&product_code=341849&Pn=SlingBox_Tuner

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&No=100&N=200139&product_code=341937&Pn=SlingBox_AV

Participant

I have not tried this specific product, but I was in a CompUSA yesterday. (Not a Holiday Inn. bseg)

But you may check your local CompUSA as the two in Columbus OH are closing. They presently have 10 to 30 percent off everything. So the prices will be reduce periodically until all product is gone.

Naturally what I wanted was only 10 percent off

jerry

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap