Digital to analog audio converter?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I have recently purchased a Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound speaker set. It has six analog audio channels with the proprietory speaker and subwoofer output. Also, I recently realized that my Xbox 360 will only output six-channel surround sound via digital audio (fiber optic) output.

Is there a reasonably cheap (preferably below $20) converter in order to transform the digital signaland feed it into myspeaker system? I need a way of converting the 5.1 digital fiber optic signal into a set of six analog sound channels. Is there a fiber optic to six-channel analog converter in the $5 – $25 price range?

P.S. I’ve also found a USB to six-channel audio converter with a CD driver. Considering the first option not available, is it possible to channel a digital signalvia one of the console’s USB ports? And discarding the second option, is a cheaply-priced, yet compatible, fiber optic to USB converter possible?

Participant

The actual sound system comes with a proprietary “Xbox adapter”, which is onlytwo female RCA channelsto a Stereo 1/8″ converter. Matrix mode can be turned on in order to channel two stereo signals throughout the entire system. Might sound better than two 6″ TV speakers, but isn’t the 5.1 sound setup that I’ve been dreaming of.

The console also has a digital audio (fiber optic) output that has the option of streaming 2-channel stereo or 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. Is there a good, cheap way of converting the fiber optic output into six analog audio channels? Frankly, the only method that I came across is getting a digital decoder sound box for converting to six analog channels.

Is there any way of doing thiswithout purchasing a $300-$700 converter box. My research was aiming to the $5-$30 price range, but sounds absurd now from what I’ve seen. Is this step possible within the price range? Or, is it better to hone up onsome porgramming skills for decoding and converting the digital output to six single analog channels?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap