Digital Recording Solutions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

It’s imperative for me to go to digital recording, using tapes as a backup. I just don’t have time to wait for uploads. I’ve been looking at Firestores, but it seems to me that a Mac Mini would offer more at about the same price, and then be able to serve in the editing process. They’re small enough to clip onto a tripod or possibly the top of my FX1…hmm.

I’m also in the market for a monster computer. I’ve heard that some people have a computer for rendering and another for uploading. Is the Mac Mini sufficient accompany a larger comp for either function? Could it serve also as an on-camera digital recorder?

I now have two PC laptops and plan to utilize them as digital recorders under stationary tripods but have no idea how to accomplish that. Thoughts?

Participant

The mac mini is pretty portable but I don’t think it’s as portable as you think it is. You also would need a monitor for it, and a keyboard and mouse. I don’t think you could clip it onto anything.

Maybe you should consider a portable recording device like an iriver or the new ipod.

Participant

Is NLE ‘Non-Linear Editing’?

Since I already own two PC laptops, here’s what I’m thinking about doing:

Cam A:
      [own] FX1
      [need] Firestore 40GB $650 approx…Firestore 40GB – I could dump the data to the External (Cam C) after the prelims and after the ceremony as it fills up
      [need] Ambience Mic
      [need] Light
      [own] Manfrotto Tripod

Cam B:
      [need] FX1 $2000
      [own] Inspiron 6000 70GB HD
      [need] Backup Laptop Battery
      [own] Milk Crate for Laptop
      [need] Light
      [own] Bogen Tripod

Cam C:
      [own] HC3
      [own] HP ZT Laptop (old and w/o firewire)
      [need] 250 GB External Firewire HD (Dell) $127.96 (I would have to use USB with this laptop)
      [own] Extention cord
      [need] Milk Crate for Laptop
      [own] Light
      [own] El Cheapo Tripod

[need] Blu-ray burner $700
      [need] Pentium D Dual Core Editing PC with 4MB Ram and 512k Video Card, using TV as monitor
      [need] Wireless keyboard/mouse?
      [own] 3 FX1 Batteries
      [own] 3 HC3 Batteries
      [own] 21 HD Tapes
      [own] 2 wireless laviliers, 1 lavalier w/recorder

Participant

Yeah, I don’t know if it’s crazy to think of dumping data from a Firstore to a laptop w/ external HD…I don’t know how long that would take at a wedding. Thoughts? I suppose if I didn’t have time at a particular wedding I could just use tape for the reception.

Anyone know if USB would be fast enough for tapeless recording? Do I need to buy laptop with firewire?

I bought my last FX1 for $2,600…I’m trying to out-do myself. πŸ™‚

Participant

Oh! I thought he said Audio recording. No wonder! Yeah, in that case, the ipod is a bad idea lol.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites β€” 2020

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look...
homicide-bootstrap