Digital Recorder

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just used 2 Digital Recorders to capture my last wedding along with a wireless mic on the minister. The digital recorder was on the father of the bride and the groom. The only problem was the area for sound. The wireless mic had a 3 or 4 foot area around the lapel mic to pick up sound where the digital recorder picked up background noise (I’m guessing 15 ft away). This is the first wedding I did where the minister stayed 2 feet from the groom and I was able to use one audio track throughout the entire wedding except for the father of the brides 4 words. I really like the ease of use with the digital recorders (no drop outs) but not the excess background noise is a problem. I’ going to work on the background noise for my next wedding.
      My 2 cents

Inactive

I use digital Recorders as well. I have not had the problems occur that you have described.

I connect a lapel mic to the Recorder just like with a wireless mic.

Most Digital recorders have two settings. High gain and Low gain so that it can either record close-up or it can record everything.Make sure you have it set correctly.

My advice is to test the mics before the big day and make sure you have the settings right.

Good luck.

Inactive

Just curious, what digital recorders and mics are you using? I have Sennheiser and Azden wireless systems but have been thinking of adding a recorder.

Thanks.

Cole

I use 4 Zoom H2 digital recorders. They are a bit big for pockets, but I’ve used them that way and they do work, especially when you use wired mics, and like was mentioned above, get you settings right. I have often used the unit’s mics – the front records a 90 degree angle, the rear a 120 degree. I have used Velcro (hook & loop), gaffer’s tape, mic stands and the foot thingy that comes with the units, taped to podium, rail, upside-down from gazebo or archway, just about everywhere, and obtained excellent sound.

I have recorded front/back to get primary audio from the source, as well as ambient audio from the audience. There are dozens of possibilities with using these units – with external, wireless or wired mic heads/receivers.

I like also that, being a bit conservative in my settings I sometimes underestimate the levels and the audio is lower than I would prefer. The units allow me to break apart sections of the recorded file, and I can “normalize” them all or selectively, bringing the levels back up to zero without ill-effecting the quality. Not bad for under $200.

You CAN spent more than $300 for the Zoom’s recently released and “improved” big brother, the Zoom 4 (there is an older model H4 also), and I suppose it is well worth the extra bucks, but I am so very pleased with the H2s I doubt I will be tempted.

Participant

Earl

Are you talking about the H4n?

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1994

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901 yeah, pretty much – didn’t know Samson was the sponsoring entity though, but hey…

…also check out http://www.zoom.co.jp

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cameras for YouTube — 2021

So you’re all set to start your new YouTube channel where you’ll show how you create wigs for dogs with bald spots. Great! But before you get started, you’ll need a camera. We’re here to help you wade through the...
homicide-bootstrap