You're using a beta version of our new web site.

Diffusion and Soft/FX filters

Home Forums Cameras and Camcorders Professional Camcorders Diffusion and Soft/FX filters

This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Anonymous

I have been shooting stuff with my HMC150 and love the picture. I currently have a UV filter, a polarizer and a warming filter from Tiffen.

What are your thoughts about diffusion filters and Soft/FX filters (any brand)? Are they useful or necessary on this camera? If you have some experience, can you please contribute a few tips about which filters to use in order to achieve particular “looks”?

Any advice on software filters is also welcome. Thanks!

birdcat
    Participant

When I used to do serious still film based photography I had dozens of filters including cross-stars, multi-imagers, polarizers and diffusers (although a little vaseline on a skylight worked wonderfully).

With the advent of programs like Photoshop and many non-linear editors (I use Vegas Pro) the need for physical filters is obviated. 

If I want a softer look, I just apply a slight gaussian blur and no more vaseline needed – I can even use masks to apply these filters selectively to only parts of my image.

I would suggest you go into your NLE of choice and experiment with the built in filters it comes with to get an idea of what you can do.

Anonymous

Birdcat’s post was “so good they used it twice” Personally, I have filters as described above but I rarely use them as Prem Pro has all the FX I need – or want at this time. But don’t discard them just yet, would be my advice. You never know when they might be useful. I admit to being a hoarder which can cause some friction with SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed – ie my wife) but there have been times whenthings I have hoarded havegot me out of a hole.

Anonymous

Thanks! I am using Final Cut Pro. Been playing with the in-built filters and Color effects – some pretty cool stuff there.

Anonymous

also i study , thanks everyone

pseudosafari

Add one more vote to the “I have filters, but use post instead.” That’s what I do.

ayi308581287
    Participant

Thanks! I am using Final Cut Pro.It is very good.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.