DFN

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been scouring the web looking for a 52mm day-for-night filter, and I can’t seem to find one. Am I that inept at web searching, or do they simply not come in this size? I’ve tried both Tiffen and Hoya’s web pages as well as dozens of third party retailers, even eBay.

Does anyone know a reputable seller who offers DFN’s in this size? I can also do them at 68mm (I think it’s 68…) but I’ve had no luck in that size, either. I could really use one of these, and fairly soon.

Participant

I’m looking for one too and can’t find it. 52mm must be rare.

Inactive

You don’t really need a day-for-night filter anymore. Those were for the days of film. All you need to do is set your white balance to tungsten (or manually white balance in tungsten light) and then under expose everything slightly.

It will give a nice, nighttime blue color to everything, except any tungsten light source that might be in the shot. It works really well on cloudy days when the light is more subdued. It actually works better than using a filter. If the ambient light is subtle enough, you can include tungsten light sources in your shot (car headlights, house lights, porch lights, etc.) and they will look the correct color. When using a day-for-night filter any light source will also be colored blue.

Participant

Thanks, Jim. I’ve been doing that actually, but I thought the filter might provide a more believable appearance. I’ve actually been white balancing off of an orange card. Guess I’ll cross that off my list — not too broken up over it either, as there’s a ton of other gear I need to invest in, and the DFN filters I’ve seen (none in the size I needed them) are expensive.

Participant

http://www.adorama.com/TF5282A.html?searchinfo=52mm%20DNF&item_no=35?searchinfo=52mm%20DNF&item_no=35

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap