DeskTop PC or Laptop

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve always used a desktop pc to do my video editing but I’m seriously considering switchinig to a laptop. Has anyone made this switch and what are the greatest advantages for you? What are some disadvantages?

Thanks

Participant

Well, as usual it depends on what you want to do.

If you’re just cutting compressed HD video, most laptop will work just fine.

If you’re truly serious about working as a video professional, desktops will provide you with more power and expandability, which is essential when working with uncompressed video, videos that goes beyond HD resolution, lots of motion graphics and compositing, color grading, etc.

Participant

You would need pretty high end laptop to run the simplest of the editing programs. If you want to serious editing, use a tower. That way you can configure it what you need to run the program of choice.

Participant

Excellent advice gentlemen! That settles it for me and makes sense. Thanks Rob and Pallidini!

Happy Video making to you!

Push,

The other members laid it out straight. Ultimately, if you plan on getting serious about this kind of work you’ll need both. On medium or large jobs that keep me on location for a while, I take a editing capable laptop. One with enough horsepower to capture footage if needed and do a rough cut in the field. When I get back to base, it’s no problem to transfer everything over to a dedicated Editing computer with not only enough horsepower to do the job, but large capacity drives for storage and containing stock materials to be used in the project.

Starting out, you’ll have to decide on how much work you’re doing on the move versus how much you’ll be doing at ‘home’. If you’re moving around a lot, a laptop will be the tool required. Be advised though, using a laptop as your primary editor will put considerable wear and tear on the harddrive. Make sure the manufacturer has a good warranty on the laptop, particularly the harddrive. Back up your work in a paranoid manner because I guarantee you your laptop harddrive will fail when you least need it to!

If you have a more stable environment to edit, then absolutely get a Desktop. As you can afford, you can expand on it’s capabilities with dual monitors, faster CPU’s, Graphics Cards, RAM, internal/external Harddrives and much more.

Participant

Sound advice H.W.Porter! I will keep it all in mind. Thank you so much!

Participant

Funny this came up at this time. I do the majority of my editing on a desktop but have used a laptop in the field for the last four years a lot. My current laptop is a HP dv9700 that has run CS3 production premium very well for all its life as it is a 32 bit system.

Now my desktop will render out a complex 2K project in CS5 faster than my laptop will do a SD version with similar effects. Actually what takes four hours on the laptop will render out in 5 min on the desktop, if that.

My problem lately is that my field requirements are growing fast and I need to do more in the field. Instead of just capturing I need to be doing some more editing and color correction. I’ve been looking at some laptops today and there are some that can do a lot more nowadays.

A couple that have my eye is the MSI GT60 and 70, dual SSD and a fast graphics card and plenty of memory. I’m considering all the Apple’s and my favorite HP’s with their mobile work stations but also looking at the others. Some ASUS are not to shabby either.

I’ve never had a problem with laptops as long as they supported the system requirements for the software, just that I’ve had issues with render times and playback in AE but with looking at the current offerings things have changed a lot now that some of this cool 64bit hardware has gotten up to speed with laptops.

I will be ordering one within days and when I’ve put one through some paces I’ll post the results but I’m pretty sure the limitations have changed in the laptop world.

You have to get a high performance laptop with a niceprocessor and a good amount of memory or use an external. The only issue with laptops are that you get less performance for the price but if you get a really nice one that would be good here are a few options:

toshiba:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/laptop-family.jsp?family=Qosmio

these are real nice

hp:

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/A9P83UA?HP-ENVY-17-3290nr-3D-Edition-Notebook-PC

The list goes on for a nice laptop for video editing expect to pay from $1,500-$2,000. If you look online for gaming laptops that will get you what you need.

You have to get a high performance laptop with a niceprocessor and a good amount of memory or use an external. The only issue with laptops are that you get less performance for the price but if you get a really nice one that would be good here are a few options:

toshiba:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/laptop-family.jsp?family=Qosmio

these are real nice

hp:

http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-ENVY/A9P83UA?HP-ENVY-17-3290nr-3D-Edition-Notebook-PC

The list goes on for a nice laptop for video editing expect to pay from $1,500-$2,000. If you look online for gaming laptops that will get you what you need.

Participant

My entire team use HP Envy Laptops with high speed switching video card, 7200rpm hard drive and a 6gig of ram. Adobe CS5.5 Production Suite rocks on it. We went to laptops to streamline our workflows. Most times by the time we are back to editing rooms the first draft has been completed in the field. We have had no issues with the Envy.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

We currently have 5 of these laptops and they just rock. The only thing missing is a USB 3.0 port.

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

My vote is for the MSI GT70. It’s a solid laptop that I use with CS5. Runs fast and flawless.

Participant

If you are doing a substantial amount of work I agree with the suggestion that both is the best choice. I have a fast desktop with 8GB of memory and a lot of connected external storage. When I am away on a shoot I take my laptop with CS5 installed and an ESata connected external drive. That computer has enough horsepower to build and synchronize the project each evening but I wait to get home to edit. I move the external drive to the desktop eSATA port and go.

Participant

To expand a bit I use the laptop at home to do browsing email etc and can transfer files reasonably fast by network connection with the desktop. Three monitors are open two on the desktop and one on the laptop. Both share a network connected printer.

I use an ACER 8950g because I can edit on it efficiently and it has a 1080p screen which is handy for showing clients full HD video at their home (family interviews). I think it’s OK and with 8gb of RAM and a fast processor plus USB 3for an external hdd I’m fairly pleased with it. The screen is not as good as I’d hoped for though and that’s a fairly critical aspect of using it for this purpose.

Participant

I just got my MSI GT60 the day before yesterday. I went with the 60 for a bit smaller size for travel cause I still have the large double monitor desktop at home.

System specs:

GT60 0NC-004US

Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

15.6″ Full HD Anti-reflective Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX670M discrete graphics (GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Accelerated performance with MSI TDE Technology

Full-color programmable backlit keyboard by SteelSeries

Killer Game Networking

MSI Cooler Boost Technology

Dynaudio Premium Sound Speakers with THX TruStudio PRO

1.0TB (7200RPM; 500GB x 2 in RAID 0)

12GB DDR3 1600MHz system memory

DVD Super Multi

USB 3.0 for high speed data transfer

HDMI 1.4 (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output

Built-in 720p HD webcam

Gold flashed audio jack ports with amplifier

802.11 b/g/ n Wireless LAN with Bluetooth

I am very surprised and delighted with this thing. I’m running CS5 production premium on it and it smokes AVCHD from both a VG-10 and FS-100. I’ve done some pretty intensive color correction so far and it is spitting it out like nothing. The Mercury Playback Engine is working very well on this machine and the MSI Turbo boost is scary. Not to mention the audio quality is like nothing I’ve ever heard from a laptop.

I’m very happy with this and editing HD.

Participant

Took a 38 sec.clip of some killdeer I shot this spring nesting AVCHD shot on VG-10. dropped it in PPro and then right clicked and replaced with AE comp. In AE I saved a frame and then opened it in Photoshop to create an adjustment layer for curves color correction. Closed Photoshop, applied the adjustment layer in AE and then did some toning work in PPro for and HDR look.

No hang ups and was fast as I could ask for.

I rendered it at a full HDTV file in one minute and as a MP4 720p youtube preset changed to a VBR 2 pass in like 45 seconds. Not to shabby at all. Here is the clip of the birds.

MSI now has the GT60 and GT70

http://us.msi.com/news-media/news/100089.html

PC is powerful but laptop is moveable.
    http://www.androidleo.com

• Viewing 23 reply threads

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap