Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

thoughts?

OK.

Participant

not bad, not bad. pretty good actually

Participant

That reel makes it look like you’ve been on all of three shoots. It doesn’t show near the variety your website does. It just repeats shots and looks too much and overall I feel it limits you. I’d not market that one if I were you.

I’m nota prude or anything, but I’d lose the “Pussy Magnet.” Point gets across without it just the same without the risk of turning anyone off or causing them to unnecessarily focus on that and miss the point of the work. Just my two cents.

Was it in 3d at the end or just a 3D effect? Pretty neat just the same.

Inactive

thanks for the feedback. grinner, how does it make it look like I was a part of the shoot? I directed shot and edited all of these works. I want to communicate that the clearest.

Participant

That was communicated loud and clear. What wasn’t was variety. Again, it looked like you had gone out and shot three different places one night then made a demo reel out of your evening. I’m not trying to be harsh. The point of a reel is to get gigs and this one will keep you from getting one. Dig a bit. If you havn’t shot much, go shoot more. If you havn’t directed much, go do it more. Because you havn’t edit much, you really need to dig deeper and do more. After Effects is your friend. Know it? More content will sell you more. Have some? I’m just saying, as one that hires, this reel would be discarded pretty quickly. Surf some directors reels if yu want to be a director. Surf editor/motion graphics reels if you want to be an editor. If wanting to be a one man band production company, surf the highest end production company’s reels.

I assume you are shooting every week. Show that, man. Don’t just keep going to the same settings on your reel. It reeks of lack of experience.

Inactive

I’ll take it into consideration. This is a music video reel built beginning of this year, and has since needed to be updated. That being said, I’ll be updating shortly. I have been fortunate enough to have some national music video clients and also landed a full time advertising job. Not much time in my life for updating reels. Check these reels for, motion graphics and docu/commercial .works.

also, feel to free to browse my site: http://www.nickcavalier.com

Participant

I like your motion graphics reel a lot. Edgy, classy, short… very nice.

Inactive

thanks Grinner! I do appreciate feedback because I am going to be updating these reels in the near future. want to get a feel for what people like and don’t like and what work so I can make it more kickass!

Participant

Focus on what it is you want to be doing. If that is one man band turn-key propductions, highlight that. If wanting to freelance wearing different hats, create seperate reels that specialize in different areas. If wanting to be a music video director, simply send links to complete music videos.

What I did on my site is just a motion graphics reel that shows some capabilities in the edit suite. I then a have a link to finished works so they can get a sense for my story-telling, shooting, and editing. It’s pretty easy today as we can stack different things via links. Having to decide what DVD or tape to mail out 20 years ago was much tougher.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap