Dedicated drive for video editing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ProducerLinda
      Participant

Hello all,Everyone mentions that you should have a dedicated drive for video editing.But,they do’nt mention how you video editing gets directed to this dedicated drive and not to another drive.Also,does rendering have to be done on it’s own dedicated drive?And if so,how do you accomplish that?I am going to buy an HP workstation and get 4 hard drives.Drive 1 for the operating system.I will partition it to have 2 partitions.One for the OS and one for programs.The 2nd and 3rd drives in a RAID 0 for editing,and the 4th drive for storage.Does this seem like a good strategy?Thank you.

composite1

Linda,

To assign a dedicated video (audio, graphics, etc.) drive select your preferred drive in your nle’s preference/options settings menu. Sounds like a good strategy. Just remember to have an external drive(s) to back-up your OS and raid 0 array. I don’t think you need to partition your C: drive to split the OS and Programs. Usually, that partitioned portion is used as storage for C: drive file backups, etc. Hopefully, you’re not planning on putting so many programs on your C: drive that your OS can’t function! Having extra drives makes life easier when you can assign them to specific tasks and use them as scratch disks or for storing previews.

ProducerLinda
      Participant

Is there any partitioning strategy for the 0 array,scratch,storing previews,storage disks?Can I fit a fifth drive in the workstation?And if so,how could I use this fifth drive and partition it?Thank you.

composite1

Linda,

If I read you correctly, no you don’t partition your raid array. The scratch disk (a term used in photoshop) is just the drive you selected to cover data overflow if the drive you’re doing your edits on becomes overloaded with temporary files created during the editing session. You don’t want your primary scratch disk to be your C: drive because you need it to run the program and your OS. Having an extra drive(s) allows you to work without bogging down your C: drive and gives you the capacity to store your work ‘away’ from the OS drive which comes in handy if your OS drive has to be reformatted or otherwise repaired.

You’ll have to ask HP what the max capacity of internal drives your WS will hold. That is determined by how many inputs the system’s motherboard has and how tall your computer case is (taller = more drive bays + x number of drives to be installed.)

Generally, I’ve only needed to partition the C: drive (reduces defrag and other maintenance times) and the partition is used to store files such as documents, images and the like. Outside of that, for a graphics/nle workstation all extra drives are used at maximum drive space primarily as they are generally assigned to specific tasks (Raid for video for example) as well as used for preview and other temporary file storage. You could partition your ‘5th’ drive, but unless you have a specific task in mind for the partitions there’s not much need to do so.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.