DCR-VX2100

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Whats up everybody??? I am getting into film making and i am getting ready to purchase a camera…. i am leaning most twards the sony DCR-VX2100…. I was wondering if any one has this camera or has done any work with them could give me some feedback on the camcorder. From what i have heard it is a great camera but you can never hear enough good things…. Good, bad, whatever you might have to say about the camera would be very helpful with my descision…. thanks

alakazam

Inactive

Why don’t you go for a camera that can shoot 24p?

Inactive

well i would really like that feature but it is kind of impractical for me…. im not trying to shoot for a big screen or anything…. if i could find a camera for the same price that had all the same features as the 2100, i would probably jump on it but im not going to sacrefice features or spend more money just for that minor feature.

What do you think????

Inactive

I think 24p is very important for a filmmaker. Probably the most important feature you should look for, especially practical if you plan to transfer DV to film.

Inactive

i think it will be time for another new camera before i am to the stage of going to film… but 24p is something i am interested in…. i was looking a little bit at the canon xl2 but its a little pricey and i dont know how reliable canon is…. do you know if the xl2 has that tape error???? also are there any other cameras around 2,500 to 3,000 that you can shoot in 24p???

THANKS,
      ALAKAZAM

Inactive

I don’t know, it’s too high-end for me. You’ll have to google for that.

Inactive

Do you think it would be worth it to caught up the extra cash for the xl2 or is there another camera out there for my purpose… which i never told you…. my camera needs to be versatile for shooting short films and action events and maybe documentaries…… whaddayea think??

Inactive

The XL2 has a very big plus sign next to it because of the interchangeable lens – which makes it great for documentary and feature films. It’s actually a filmmaker’s favorite. I suppose you could go for it.

Inactive

allright i will take that into consideration…. actually the xl2 is what i origonally wanted but it was just a little bit too much money for me but i guess you get what you pay for…. but thanks for all the advise and i wish you luck on your film making journey….. Thanks again

alakazam

Inactive

Good luck!

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

The VX2100 is more of an event cam. 24p (I’ve only recently learned) is good for more than just transfering to film. SVHS, as usual, has you on the right track. Send us all free tickets when you’re done!

So, let me get this straight. vx2100 is an event cam. (weddings, sporting events, ect.) and the XL2 is more of a film cam. (movies, commercials, etc.)? Are these two cams pretty much the best cams for these types of avenues, budget wise?

Inactive

double post…

Inactive

double post…

… I hate my ISP…

Inactive

Pretty much so with the VX2100.
      Although Panasonic’s DVX series might be preferable over the XL for filmmaking (lots of indie producers choose the DVX100a or DVX100b to shoot 24p; but I believe that’s in other price range).

Inactive

I just checked my vx2100 to day and my whole imgae is covered in RED colour..

Im just worried its the CCD.. what could be the problem..

I tried white balancing and even a hard reset on the camera..but the prob wont go away.. I tried the colour bar and colours shows fine..But when using the camera on live images the red colour is covering all image..

Can Anyone help?

Inactive

netventure Wrote:

I just checked my vx2100 to day and my whole imgae is covered in RED colour..

Im just worried its the CCD.. what could be the problem..

I tried white balancing and even a hard reset on the camera..but the prob wont go away.. I tried the colour bar and colours shows fine..But when using the camera on live images the red colour is covering all image..

Can Anyone help?

OUCH! I don’t have that camera but but it sounds like you may lost 1 or 2 of the CCD color feeds and all you have is red left. By resetting the camera, does that rest EVERYTHING to the original factory settings? Because if it doesn’t maybe the color gain settings are all set wrong.

Look on Sony’s website and see if there is a troubleshoot area. Otherwise you may have to contact them.

I know "compusolver" (from this forum) has a few of these cameras and is very knowledgable so maybe he’ll see this post and give you a hand.

"Hank… where are you?" πŸ˜‰

RAM

Inactive

Reset it but no luck.. playback is ok tho!..

Im sending my vx2100 tomorrow to be checked.. If its the CCD i’l be very upset!.. I own a canon xl1 and to date have no problems!!

I really love the vx but my next buy will definitely another canon!

Participant

Sorry to show my igor. errr ingna, err whats the word… aw heck, lack of knowledge. Apart from two numbers and a letter, what the heck is 24P and what are you talking about?

Participant

What the…..
      I didn’t post to this forum.
      Gremlins in the system again.
      Ignore the above

Participant

Gee I’m stupid …. this is a seecond page of the right forum, so I ask the question again
      What is 24P ?? and why is it important??

Participant

the 24 means it is shooting 24 frames per second, unlike the typical 30 frames per second which is the standard for "video". 24 frames per second is the framerate of film, as in hollywood productions. That is why someone might want 24 frames per second, to get a film look without the cost and learning curve associated with shooting film. The P stands for progressive. Progressive frames are the opposite of interlaced frames when talking video. With interlacing, alternating fields are recorded every other frame of video recording. When watching the video one can’t really notice the interlacing except at times when there is a lot of action, or when slow motion is used, etc. Progressive scan however captures the entire frame (720×480 resolution for standard definition) within every single frame, rather than in alternating frames. So it gives a smoother look and feel, more like film again… the purpose of progressive scan is that it just looks better to have the entire horizontal resolution accounted for in every frame, not just half of it. Hope that all makes sense, if not let me know and I will be happy to clarify.

Later

Inactive

Sounds like 24p is the way to go for weddings and other events where slow motion is used often, right?

Will all of the major editing software work with 24p?

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can get 24p or something that looks the same in post production.

Seems better to get a camera in your budget and then post to get the effects you want.

Inactive

bb221 Wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can get 24p or something that looks the same in post production.

Seems better to get a camera in your budget and then post to get the effects you want.

To get true HIGH quality 24p FPS you need a camera that shoots 24fps. That’s why they make them.

RAM

Inactive

Right, I’m looking at the Panasonic DVX 100b. I just need to make sure that my NLE will work with 24p. I have Pinnacle’s Studio 9 right now :'( , but I am upgrading to Liquid 7.

Can anyone confirm that Liquid works well with 24p???

Participant

Sorry to take so long to get back
      Thanks for the definition of 24P.
      Here in Oz our we use PAL, so our frame rate is 25 fps, not 30as the NTSC system.
      So does that mean ous sytem is closer to the 24P you are talking about?

I do not know if our cameras have interlace or progressive scanning of the captured image. Can’t seem to find that info in our hand books. I am guessing interlaced.

Thanks again for the info.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment β€” 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap