Dance Recital – Any tips

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I Posted this is the Sony forum, but as it is not equipment specific, perhaps it belongs here…

My kids got me an early Father’s day present HD1000U. (My DW looked at my B&H catalog…)

Anyways, this weekend they have a dance recital. It’s a small studio, so there is no Pro videographer. Also, there is no dress rehearsal, so I can not do any test shooting. Anyone care to offer any advice for camera settings?

Scene Select, WB, Shutter, Iris, Exposure?

Even though I only own DVD quality (Standard Definition) equipment (DVD Burner, Regular TV), I was planning on shooting in HDV 1081i format, then down-converting during post production capture. Does this sound right? In the future I can always make a true HD product.

During conversion, should I choose Squeeze (black bars on top/bottom), or crop? I suppose it depends on how well I follow the action. I can always switch back and forth, although this might make for awkward viewing.

I have a sturdy tripod, but should I use steady shot?

Thanks in advance for any other helpful tips.

Inactive

you didn’t state what software you are utilizing…. as far as shooting in 1080i, go for it, it will come out nice in SD. I use Vegas Pro 8, it’s as easy as importing the footage and rendering a SD product out. as far as the shoot, you will need to set the shutter speed fast enough to not have motion blurring and you’ll have to open the iris a bit to get proper exposure with the higher shutter rate. White balance manually and your good to go.

John

Inactive

John,

I will be using Studio 10. I know its not the best, but I am comfortable with its quirks. (Note: It is the camera, not the S/W that converts the native 1080i to SD when exporting the footage via firewire.)

I’m still wondering:

1. Crop the image from 16:9 to 4:3 or use the black-bars to maintain the 16:9

2. I know its hard without seeing the lighting, but any suggestion on actual shutter speed? I suppose I can look at the histogram and adjust for a balance between blur and DOF/Gain

Inactive

i’m a bit confused though, the camera is a JVC? I noticed your post over in the sony forum, but doing quick research on the model number given (HD100U), that camera only shoots 720. As far as steady shot, if you are on sticks, turn steady shot off.

John

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap