Cs4 keeps quitting

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,

I am using CS4 and everytime I open the program/file it quickly quits. Any ideas as to how to stop this from happning?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Seth

Inactive

i was using the program successfully the day before with no issues. Unless the drivers changed automatically for some reason. The issue is I cannot open the program to even perform a diagnostic. A little confused. Any ideas on how to get more information to fix the problem?Thanks.

Participant

Start Googleing – check Adobe knowledgebase and forums.

Participant

one common issue with photoshop is scratchdiscs…

if you’re using your main hard drive for everything… and it is pretty full, bad thing will happen…

Inactive

Drive has 70% free tried restarting, fragmenting not sure what else to try.

need to continue to search forums Thanks

Participant

I have just recently experienced the same problem. CS4 still works fine on other projects but on this one particular project, CS4 simply disappears after loading the project, no error message, no “blue screen” crash, nothing…! So it is not possible to faultfind either. The only thing about the project is that I am using a lot of stills.

Someone has suggested creating a new project and importing the resources again but I have not had time to try that. I have done the Google thing and Adobe forum but have not come up with a solution.

Heidi

Participant

What platform? on the mac, I know that corrupted “permissions” on files or folders can cause glitches and it’s easy to fix…

Inactive

I cannot open any project (new , existing etc.) I cannot open the program. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inactive

It;’s on a P.C.

Participant

Dear Seth,

I have the same problem with Elements 7.0. Adobe support has given me a couple of temporary solutions, but so far no permanent fix. When they send me a permanent fix I will post it. What I have done is to save everything then restore my computer to its factory settings and then reinstall the program. This has works for awhile. So far Adobe support has been responsive, but they have not solved the problem. In a phone call this morning they said it has been elevated to their senior support level so they are trying.

Inactive

I look forward to seeing your post. Thanks.

Inactive

Update, I uninstalled and tried to reinstall the program and I still have the same issue (program opens and closes right away) Any help will be appreciated!

Have a great day

Seth

Seth,

Bad news. Uninstalling Adobe products without ‘Deactivating’ the License means you can uninstall until the cows come home and it won’t change anything.

Okay, first off you seriously need to cough up more details than you have so far other than “it’s a PC.” What brand of PC?, which version of windows (XP, Vista, Win7?), do you have more than one internal hard drive or do you have an external drive (the ‘Scratch Disk’ thing D0n mentioned is a killer), What kind of video card are you running?, how much RAM does your machine have?, what kind of CPU does your system use? Answering these questions would give us more room to help you.

Since you’re “using a lot of photos” my first guess is it’s crashing because you haven’t set up extra scratch disks and your poor cpu, ram and hard drive are freaking out at the load. But before you start fooling around with scratch disks, be kind enough to answer the above questions. Someone might catch something amiss after reading your description.

Participant

I talked to Adobe support today and they had me create a new user account. So far this works. Adobe support has been very responsive and helpful. I suggest you contact them.

Participant

I have had long experience with Adobe Support since upgrading to CS4! They are very responsive but really not helpful at all – many hours wasted! At one point they also suggested that I create a new user account which made me loose all my video until I foung out via Google how to get my administrator account back – again another day wasted.

It seemed to be that the Adobe products share two Windows services: Photoshop Import Server, and Video whatever server. In my case they caused the crash, presumably, according to Microsoft, because I had run out of resources or there was a bad sector on the hard drive, or it is a trojan virus of some kind.

So I have now bought a new computer with Windows 7 and more RAM and hard drive. I did do a virus scan and found a Trojan which I have removed.

Now I am busy with the daunting task of reinstalling Adobe Master Collection – Adobe Support did send me a new copy in case there was a problem with my disks. I will report back hopefully by tomorrow if the problem has been resolved. If not, I am switching to Sony Vegas and cutting my losses. Which would be too bad as up until CS3 I have been so happy with Adobe!

Heidi

Participant

Since my last post I have abandoned Adobe because I don’t feel they have actually solved the problem, but only postponed it. I am now working with Power Director 8 Ultra. It is much faster and loads a project with no problems so far. My camera is a Canon Vixia HF11. I can capture the clips directly from the camera or import the clips from the removable SD card. I usually record to the built-in memory and copy them to the SD card in the camera. I then remove the card and import into my computer with a SD card reader. This way I don’t have to use the camera ac adapter.

I had the same problem with CS4 crashing on Windows XP. It worked fine then would not open at all out of the blue. I updated my video card driver and it worked fine.

Automatic updates will kill ya. Do you have them turned OFF? Microsoft could update your OS & screw up your set up. POSSIBLY a system restore will help. Personally I suggest you not use your editing computer for everyday internet stuff. Just to upload or download your work. Buy a cheapo used or refurbed PC for internet stuff.

Participant

As promised, here is my feedback. After much ado I finally got my Adobe Master Collection installed on Windows 7. Everything seems to be working just fine, and the crashing, touch wood, no longer seem to happen.

Heidi

What was the problem, is this a software bug or memory or hardware issue? I use CS4 Production under Win7-64bitand haven’t had a problem, but now I wonder what it takes to get that problem. If I run out of memory? Disk goes bad? Lose power while something is running? Just what is the problem?

Participant

Having similar issues with XP and CS4. Only PP though.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2020

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap