Crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

(Insert your favorite explicative here)!

One of my hard drives went down today on my editing machine! As a result, I lost not only my current project, but also a bunch of small side videos! Needless to say, I’m not too happy. I mean, virtually all the footage can be reloaded onto the machine (what’s another 24 hours of my life anyway?) but I also lost the files housing my editing work.

So anyway, the reason I post this is not just to gripe about my major loss, but also to ask advice. I’ve decided it’s time to chuch my first generation P4 that I’m editing on, and get a new machine altogether.

What are the specs on your ideal machines? Now, what are realistic specs that you work with regularly in your editing suite?

Anyway, I’m off to go put my hard drive in the freezer for a couple hours. Maybe I can at least get my edit files off it πŸ™

Participant

If you are looking to replace your machine you should take a look at the new Apple macs. They are a great option for an editor. The new intel macs are fast, they are not prone to virus’ and spyware like their windows counterparts. With the intel macs you can dual boot into windows if you need to and unlike traditional dual boot you get a very good looking graphic interface and Apple couldent have made it easier to set up and use a dual boot system. The software even burns a cd for you which contains all of the drivers for windows. Like they say Macs "Just Work" I converted from being a very proud windows user (Hated macs untill a. I realized that most companies in this industry use mainly macs and b. I got a job in which the whole studio was on macs and was forced to learn how to use a mac. I havent looked back. I bought the first mac mini the day it came out. Also I recently purchased a intel mac mini to use at home. It is an excelent editor. It has a dual core processor and 2 gigs of ram. My ideal comp would be a (as of yet unreleased but are expected by July-August) Mac Pro maxed out with several gigs of ram and the fastest processors available. But a more modestly priced system would be either an iMac or a Mac mini with the max amount of ram. A mac book pro or Mac book would also be great for editing. (with a proper external) When your looking at your next system just remember the Mac can run both Mac OSX AND Windows while a dell can ONLY run windows.

Inactive

I have 10 250 Gb EXTERNAL hard drives (Maxtor) the price has come down, it’s well worth the investment. You can archive your footage, sound files, graphics, project files, etc., and shelf them, or put them in a fire-proof safe!

Inactive

Thanks for the advice, all.

In regards to my hard drive, I’m not totally sure, but I think the head servo might have gone out. The bios on the drive is fine. It shows up on the boot, and in XP, and even in my Linux box I toy with, but the drive can’t be read, even though it mounts up. I can tell that the disc servo is still spinning too. That pretty much leaves either a lost the header data as Hank suggested, or the head itself has fried. I’m going to go to the computer shop down the road today and see if they can figure it out.

Something else occoured to me last night. If the drive really is dead, I’m shafted in more ways than just 1. I gave out my last copy of my demo video last week, and take a wild guess at where I kept my demo video footage and all the editing files for it? So, I’ll have to re-do my demo video as well.

videolab, believe me when I say that the macs are a BIG temptation. I was raised on macs (I still have my Mac Classic II someplace in storage!), and when I started learning both video editing and photo manipulation, it was on macs.

The problem is that I’m a cheap son of a gun, and when I started doing my own stuff, Macs were still twice the price of a PC, and they had proprietary internal cards and whatnot, so I went to the dark side. So now, I have the PC versions of Vegas 6 and PP2, not to mention photoshop, and I really don’t want to flush that cash down the drain to buy the Mac versions. Loading a Windows OS on a Mac box is also cool, but the problem is that Macs usually have lower specs than PC’s, because they don’t need as much horsepower as a PC to do the same amount of work. The problem I see is that this will slow me down in editing, since I would be doing it all on the PC side.

Basically, I have a bit more than $1000 in my budget if I get a new PC. I was looking at an HP I saw at a store. Would anyone like to tell me if there are any reasons I shouldn’t get the machine below?

LINK – Click Here

From the looks of it, it would do what I need it to. I’ll need to add a second hard Drive, but aside from that, it looks good to me. What do you all think?

Participant

Power PC based macs have slower clock speeds but are more efficent like AMD processors have been for a while. Now Macs use the latest and greatest from Intel. They also now use standard components. In fact the new intel macs have been praised by the likes of PC World as being great windows machines. As well as running Mac OSX. http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,126029,00.asp
      Here is a pc world review about the Mac Book. Macs offer the best of the windows world and the ability to run the virus/spyware free OSX.

Inactive

Another option is to set up your new system with a RAID configuration. This means using multiple hard drives as one. If one should fail, the data is still on the remaining drives.

Also, SATA hard drives are the newest thing. They are much faster than IDE and they use a MUCH thinner cable. This greatly increases the amount of airflow through your tower for cooling. IDE cables act like a barrier because they’re so wide.

Inactive

Well, I went ahead and got the HP I listed above, and honestly, I love it! I just rendered a 4 minute video in 3 minutes. On my old machine, it would have taken me 15 minutes, if the system didn’t crash first.

I pulled out the modem card (does anyone actually still use a modem??!?!) and installed an EIDE card so I could connect my only remaining drive that didn’t melt down. Of course, it has a built in drive bay, so if I buy an HP external hard drive, I can just lock it in and I have yet another drive.

I also gave myself a little present, and I upgraded my old 17" CRT screen to a 19" widescreen LCD. Oh man, is it ever so beautiful!

All in all, it still sucks that I lost what I did, but with the new setup, at least it won’t take me 6 months to rerender all of it.

Inactive

Maybe you can borrow one of your demos back.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap