Could use some help to organize photo-video files

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve got this collection of several thousands of photos that are scattered across several hard drives.

Working with the photos I created folders, copied and pasted all over drives.

I’ve got duplications everywhere it seems.

Basically, I think I need to get all the photos into some kind of organization.

It would probably be best to consolidate all the photos of one size (the size of the original photo) as a first step. Then have separation by types, then client, then client categories. (my thoughts)

The numbering system from the cameras may have duplicate numbers so I’ll probably have to do a visual/manual look see on all duplicate files.

Yet I need these files to all stack into one folder and then separate from there I guess.

Maybe there is a best way to do this, which I’ve ignored up to now.

When you don’t have alot of pictures it’s not an issue.

Now a couple clients are wanting me to provide pictures, which are buried somewhere in the pile.

I’ve already spent hours trying to come up with some photos and no good results.

So, I thought to post and lean on the experience of others.

There is probably a software that will do most of the redundant stuff.

Anyway, I don’t want to limit the posting to what my idea is to do this.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Participant

If you’re on a PC, you can select all files which you need to change, hit the F2 key, and type in a name. All of the files selected should have the name that you typed as the first part of their name. Example: “Img” – “Img (1)”, “Img (2)”, “Img (3)”, etc. This is how you change multiple file names.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320167

If you’re on a PC, you can try Ashisoft Duplicate File Finder (free download) to remove duplicates. It kicks butt. I know from personal experience, having been in a situation similar to yours when I decided to finally get it under control about a year ago.

http://www.ashisoft.com/downloads.htm

Good luck!

Inactive

If you got the money, Lightroom is a great choice. I use it in my photojournalism class, and i take about 300-600 Pictures per week, and it helps me to keep them organized!

Participant

I use Aperture on the mac. Lightroom is your best bet on pc

Participant

For free try Picasa from Google.

It scans your drives for photo and video files and presents you thumbnails by folder. Easy to find those duplicates and allows you to move the files around via drag and drop.Lets youaddname tags for future sorting.

Though not the best quality, it can play highly compressed video such as AVCHD files well enough to review their content.

Inactive

Lightroom works just fine on Macs too… At home i use it on my PC, and at school i use at on Mac.

Participant

pseudosafari

I dl the duplicate thing. WOW

I have 5 and more duplicates scattered all over my hard drives of some files. I have piles of duplicates.

Now have to find away to consolidate without making a zillion click box entries for deleting dups. The program may do it, but I’ve not found away yet.

Thanks for the link

Glad it’s working for you, domineaux. I think there’s a “smart feature” that just takes its best guess and deletes what it figures are duplicates. I didn’t do that, thinking it was too risky, but might be worth looking at. Good luck either way!

Inactive

[quote]I've got this collection of several thousands of photos that are scattered across several hard drives.

Working with the photos I created folders, copied and pasted all over drives.

I've got duplications everywhere it seems.

Basically, I think I need to get all the photos into some kind of organization.

It would probably be best to consolidate all the photos of one size (the size of the original photo organize) as a first step. Then have separation by types, then client, then client categories. (my thoughts)

The numbering system from the cameras may have duplicate numbers so I'll probably have to do a visual/manual look see on all duplicate files.

Yet I need these files to all stack into one folder and then separate from there I guess.

Maybe there is a best way to do this, which I've ignored up to now.

When you don't have alot of pictures it's not an issue.

Now a couple clients are wanting me to provide pictures, which are buried somewhere in the pile.

I've already spent hours trying to come up with some photos and no good results.

So, I thought to post and lean on the experience of others.

There is probably a software that will do most of the redundant stuff.

Anyway, I don't want to limit the posting to what my idea is to do this.

I would appreciate suggestions.[/quote]

Interesting question. I am wondering the same questions.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap