Copying S-VHS tapes to Computer

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Copying S-VHS tapes to Computer

——————————————————————————–

I have edited most of my Hi8 tapes onto S-VHS tapes. I am planning on purchasing a Digital 8 or Mini DV camcorder. I intend to copy my S-VHS tapes to the computer using either Firewire 1394 or through my S-video cable. Will I be losing quality if I copy using S-video cable rather than just use the Firewire. Would it help to take my S-VHS tapes through S-video cable to the new Digital camcorder and then go through Firewire? Some of the digitals do not have S-video in out plugs.
      Ramon Best

Participant

Hi,
      You have lost a generation already in dubbing from Hi8 to SVHS. Don’t know if you are referring to edited masters or raw footage. In any event, strongly suggest that you go back to your Hi8 tapes, if still available, and dub the originals, or at least your most treasured, indispensable, irreplaceable Hi8 footage, to digital format via firewire. My top choices would be digital images to Hi8 tape (i.e., Digital 8 format) or to mini DV tape. Can be done with D8 or mini DV camcorder (e.g., Hi8 camcorder via S cable to either). This would give you at least the same quality you have on your SVHS tape, except you are already in digital format, so you can preserve that level of quality in further digital dubbings. My own preferences is to dub Hi8 tape from a Digital 8 camcorder to a Digital 8 VCR via firewire. (BTW, in the current state of affairs, dubbing to digital format on tape is a better choice than relying on a burn to DVD for your preservation or potential remastering copy, due to format, compression, quality issues, etc.) As far as loading up your digital copies to your computer, unless you are planning on filling your basement with hard drives, firewire digital dubbing to tape is still the best option for normal mortals. Other views welcome on this.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Inactive

If you think you’ll be doing a lot of analog to digital conversion, I’d look into getting an analog to digital stand alone converter. I personally use the Canopus ADVC-100 and couldn’t be happier. Canopus is well known for putting out a good product and they have a GREAT line of analog to digital converters. I did a project that was shot in 1995 and when I was finished, I couldn’t tell the difference in quality from my source footage and the finished product. You are going to pay a little more for such a product, but it’s WELL worth the money. I think you can get the ADVC-110 (which is the new model of the 100) for under $300. Otherwise there are other similar products, but I’d lookup some reviews before buying

-Jim

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap