Copy Protect my DVDs ?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Does anyone know of a program that can be used to protect my dance recital DVDs from being copied ?
      Sales at these dance shows are slipping and I believe it is because some parents are making copies for their friends, on their PCs.

I read VideoMaker magazine every month, but have yet to see anything comprehensive on this topic.
      I needsoftware I can use here, at my studio, where I make my master with Pinnacle Studio and burn/print dupes with a Bravo II disc publisher.
      I don`t want to send my master out to MacroVision or anything.

Can anyone help ?Please ?

Thank you !
      -Mike

TheDVshowTheDVshow
      Participant

DVD authoring software like Sonics DVD Producer, Adobe Encore DVD and others have copy protection built right in.

DVDs produced by consumer authoring programs are not protected, so that anyone
      with a DVD burner can simply copy the entire thing onto another disc.

“CSS stands for Content Scrambling System, which is the method used to encrypt
      files on a DVD and prevent the user from copying the files to a hard drive from a
      DVD-ROM drive.

Pressed DVDs from Hollywood studios use CSS and Macrovision protection methods,
      which sets protection on a track-by-track or marker-by-marker basis in the Track
      menu, but there are many programs available that will copy even these protected
      DVDs with one click using a CSS decrypter- not worth it in my opinion and
      Macrovision is an expensive option.

If you want the copyright on your work to be observed, practically speaking, my best
      advice is to maintain a good relationship with your customers. Also use well-designed
      packaging, disc surface printing, cover art and inserts to support the idea that your
      original DVD is something of value to be respected.

A few technical tricks is to make ghost or un-referenced files on a DVD – all you have
      to do is import the mpeg2 file into your DVD authoring program and add it to the
      project but dont point anything to it – add random dummy files making it much
      harder for those who use ifo editors to see which program is the actual presentation.
      Import a blank 720×480 .bmp and make it act as if it’s a movie – but make them
      unreferenced.

Another trick is to author onto dual layer so it makes it harder to do a 1:1 copy
      All this is very easy and NOT really time consuming at all.

Participant

Hi Guys I have the same exact problem with Dance School videos.  People copy my work and selling them at a discount rate.  I did catch one woman and threatened prosecution so she paid me retail for 10.  It has not stopped at that particular school.

I wish someone could tell me how to use my Adoble Encore to use copy protection.  Anything to deter the common copier would help.  I use DL disks printed with printed case covers but that doesn't seem to stop them.  Both me and the Dance Schools lose money.

Participant

The bottom line is that there is no way to stop someone from copying your DVD as there are numerous ways to defeat all known copy protection methods. If the big guys (i.e. Hollywood) can't stop them, we can't either πŸ™

What the above video fails to mention is that the process only works for replicated discs, not duplicated ones which is what most of us produce.

From "Replicating Discs" at http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/building-finished-project.html#replicating_discs

DVDs that use copy protection or region coding must currently be replicated at a professional replication facility. (The replication facility collects royalties.) If you burn these types of DVDs from Encore, the resulting discs work, but they do not include copy protection or may not include region coding.

Mike

Participant

I posted a reply to this earlier but it didn't like a link I had in the post so I'll try again.

Even though Encore claims to be able to do copy protection, this is for replicated discs only (i.e. done at a commercial facility), not duplicated discs like most of us on here do.

I googled "adobe encore copy protection" and the answer (from the Adobe forums) was one of the first links to come up.

Mike

Participant

Watch this fellow's video and see if this helps: http://youtu.be/mHOcAhWHSDc

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap