Cool tricks? Know any?

• This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I was wondering if anyone knew some usefull (or useless) cool tricks/shots with camcorders, such as the dolly counter zoom.
      I know how to…
      Pan, Tilt, Zoom, Truck, Dolly, dolly counter zoom and that’s about it =[
      What should I learn? (a lot obviously) Is there a certain book I can read that will help me go over the basics? :-//

Inactive

cool idea.
      this is a good topic.
      How abou juxtapositions?
      I have a wonderful photo, of a (landlocked) ship in a marine museum, juxtaposed with a smokestack of an electric generating plant, giving the illusion of a running ship! That’s make a great video shot for my demo reel, on our town!
      any more ideas?

Participant

Well, there’s the always entertaining "disappearing person/object" shot. Make sure your camera is steady, then record a person or object for 10 seconds, then pause the recording, remove the person or object, then resume recording for 10 more seconds. Add a disappearing "poof" sound effect and sit back and enjoy the magic!

There are all sorts of variations, like switching objects, or people – or have someone change clothes in between pauses – all fun and the kids will love it!

Inactive

Great ideas so far, I have actually used both types of shots you guys described and they are pretty awesome =]
      Anyone try time lapsing?

Inactive

I prefer to do timelapse with my slr.
      I find that I can do some great ken burns type pans and zooms, with the images at the higher resolutions, along with the animation. Try stiching 4-5 stills into a panorama, along with some zooms and pans and place that into a video clip!
      now motion blurs with slow shutters in the video…basic, but when done right, wow!

Participant

Anybody ever try a "poor mans" version of the Matric effect? Is it even possible without the sophisticaed timed still shots and apparatus? Please do tell…

Inactive

;0) Wrote:

I prefer to do timelapse with my slr.
      I find that I can do some great ken burns type pans and zooms, with the images at the higher resolutions, along with the animation. Try stiching 4-5 stills into a panorama, along with some zooms and pans and place that into a video clip!
      now motion blurs with slow shutters in the video…basic, but when done right, wow!

Hmmmm that last part sounds interesting, can you show me an example of this?

Inactive

If your camera’s shutter can slow down to 1/7.5 or 1/15 second, you can get some cool effects. On my JVC DV5000U, I put on a ND filter and messed around with panning and zooming. The zoom was really interesting. This will also give you the "web cam" look due to the slower shutter looking like a frame rate from most web cams. If your production includes a scene of people conversing via web cams, use a PC LCD monitor that also has analog video inputs. This allows the use of "B" roll on the LCD instead of real web cams. The video will be cleaner and you won’t have to transcode any funky video.

Keying snow falling over a scene is another one I have done. If you know how to luma key, this makes sense.

-Shoot the snow fall in daytime.
      -Convert the image to B/W.
      -Increase the contrast until the gray sky turns black. You may have to adjust brightness, but stay within the 100 IRE limit.
      -Split the clip you want to apply the effect to and adjust both snow and main image to the same length.
      -Assign the luma key effect to the two clips. If required, adjust luma effect time to match total clip length.
      -Adjust the black level of the luma key until the flakes are distinct.
      -Now you have it snowing indoors, on the sunny summer beach, or wherever you imagination takes you.

***also, this is how you can have fireworks over any scene.

Be creative. Be unique. Be known.

Keith Breazeal http://www.kbvp.com

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap