Converting AVCHD files for Web and DVD

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am new to the forum and new to video. I purchased a Cannon HFS100. I will be recording short 2 minute segments that I will connect together in a video editing program, I am currently testing them all. I have been shooting in the highest resolution and am exporting the AVCHD files to my PC.

My question….

I am looking to do three things with the files, (1) post them on my website for online streaming (2) post them on my website for user download so they can burn to DVD or watch on their PC and (3) post them on my website for IPOD download.

I am wondering is there is a 1 format fits all for question 1&2 that would allow me to keep the HD quality of the video in tact. I have tried multiple formats, WMV 1080 30p, Mpeg 2, HDV 720P.

In reading a lot of different forums I am more confused then ever. I would love to convert them to MP4, however, the quality when I do this (or mpeg 2) for that matter looks horrible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Participant

Hi Paul.

>>I am looking to do three things with the files, (1) post them on my website for online streaming (2) post them on my website for user download so they can burn to DVD or watch on their PC and (3) post them on my website for IPOD download.

Your needs sound very similar to mine.

>>In reading a lot of different forums I am more confused then ever. I would love to convert them to MP4, however, the quality when I do this (or mpeg 2) for that matter looks horrible.

I am surprised to hear that. I thought I read just yesterday that people are uploading H.264 (MPEG4) straight to video sharing sites, and it works great (and in fact is the preferred format). I wonder why yours would not work?

Just for a point of reference, have you tried just straight uploading the AVCHD files? Or do you get success with any other format?

Please keep me posted on your results.

Norman

Inactive

Norman,

Thank you for the reply. Don’t laugh, but I did not know that H.264 was MPEG4. I am going to try conversion of my video in that format and test it out.

I will keep you posted.

Paul

Participant

I’m not laughing.

I just want to see you succeed.

I will be interested to hear what works.

Norman

Inactive

Norman,

Still working on it…I uploaded the video as H.264 and am able to view it on my PC. However, I am unable to burn it to a DVD. I am researching different programs that will burn mp4.

The real issue is that all of this has to be easy for the people that will be downloading and burning the video files. I cannot expect the average consumer to download additional programs on their PC just so they can view and brun my videos. With that being said, I want to be able to provide the best quality product that will be able to be viewed on most PC’s without taking up too much RAM. I also need the DVD to be viewable on most DVD players, again, I do not want to make the consume hunt for solutions on how to make the video work, I would rather make thier process painless….

More to come….

Paul

Participant

May I please ask what your target market is?

Are you looking to do this all for free, and to carry the bandwidth yourself? Or are you considering e-sales (either at cost, or for profit), as well as hard copy distro?

Inactive

Norman,

I am creating a fitness website that will be a pay for site. I will be uploading weekly workout routines for stream and download. I have unlimited bandwith, sospace is not an issue. At this point, I am not looking to go into hard copy distribution, and know that by putting my videos out there they are going to be flying all over the place.

The way I run my workoutsare a 2 minute set, with a 30 second break. So I am recording in 2 minute blocks that I do not need to edit. I will assemble the 2 minute blocks with a 30 second break screen that will discuss the next exercise. Each routine is 25 minutes in length.

I am currently fiming in 24Mbps and a frame rate of PF30 (which I may change to 60i). I ultimately want the quality to look like a DVD, not a Youtube video. This is going to be organic, so I am not looking for “spectacular”,just really good.

Paul

Participant

Just a question:

Have you considered uploading to Vimeo or YouTube in HD, and then letting people stream it from there?

Also, who do you use as your host?

Norman

Inactive

I want to keep the originals secure….if I upload to YouTube or Vimeo they would be out there for the world to use without subscribing to the website. I am having luck with Mpeg 2 for the DVD, not fantastic quality, but very good. As far as the online viewing, I am still trying different types of rendering, it may end up being MP4 for the online viewing. I was hoping for a one size fits all, but it looks like I am going to have to render 3 copies (online, DVD and IPOD) for each video I upload.

Participant

Did you take a look at Blu-Ray for your DVD needs

Inactive

Daryldrj,

I did, however, I am concerned that a majority of consumers will not be able to play it. I am trying to make the website videos accesible to all.

Participant

Thats the problem with mpeg 4 its a wait and see game. I am in the same boat right now I can create HD quality video edit it burn it to Blu ray and then if I want to show it I have to invite everyone to my house to see it because not everyone has gone that route yet

Inactive

Lol….I guess I am stuck with MPEG2.

Inactive

Norman,

I have succeeded in getting the best quality for my vids. I am currently using Corel video studio 12, since I find it the easiest to use. I put the video togther and create is as an ACVHD in 1920 format. From there I encode it with TMPGEnc 4.0 as an Mpeg2. I do not know why this comes out better for the video when it is burned to DVD then just going to straight MPEG2 from Corel, but it does.

Thanks for all of the input, I think I am ready to roll….

Paul

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap