convert VHS tapes to DVDs without using camcorder?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques convert VHS tapes to DVDs without using camcorder?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve got a pretty large collection of VHS tapes I would like to convert to DVDs. I found a site where an article explained how to do it using a firewire connection through camcorder… Yipes! My camcorder has USB, no firewire.

So, I’m looking for a way to do this differently.I’ve spentsome time google, but haven’t come up with anything yet.

I guessI’m looking for a software like audacity, but for video and sound.

I’d appreciate any links and stuff.

Participant

are you sure your camera doesn’t have firewire? what kind of camera is it? It must be very old if it doesn’t have firewire.

If it really doesnt have firewire, try to find one of those DVD players that burn DVDs. connect your camera to that with RCA and/or S-Video (i dont think S-Video carries audio, i could be wrong though)

Participant

It’s a new SOny HDR-SR12 here is a link to the Specs on the camera.. Maybe you’ll recognize something else that will work.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665291496

You said, “If it really doesnt have firewire, try to find one of those DVD players that burn DVDs.” I don’t understand what you are trying to say. I have a DVD burner in my computer I believe it’s a Pioneer.

The MOST time saving and economical way to do VHS to DVD is simply to go to WalMart and purchase a Magnavox (Philips really) deck that does it neat and clean without a lot of hassle. The deck without a tuner is only $150.

Unless you’re going to get kneedeep into editing that stuff, working overtime to make something of it more than simply capturing the “money” shots (still something easier done after straight conversion) the above solution is GREAT – if you’re doing VHS, that is.

Participant

Magix has a thing to do that, it’s called “Rescue your tapes” at http://www.magix.com

Participant

I prefer to tell to just visit this website and get your answer

http://orbisdigital.co.uk/

may contact your nearest relevant organization.

Participant

domineaux,

What I mean is you can buy a DVD player that burns DVDs. I’d go with EarlC’s method though. Seems easy.

Participant

The SR12 (big brother to my SR11) does not have a FireWire (IEEE 1394, iLink) port. You connect it to the computer using the USB cable as it records on a built in Hard Drive in either MTS (AVCHD) or MPG (MPEG-2) formats – depending on whether you chose to record in HD or SD respectively.

It cannot take any tapes you have and convert using a pass thru (like my old HC40 could).

I would suggest you take your old tapes to Costco, Walgreens, or wherever you feel comfortable and have them transferred to DVD. In lieu of that, there are quite few combo VCR/DVD recorders (I have a Sony version) that will record from VHS or any composite video/audio signal and create viewable DVD’s (which you can then take to your NLE and capture for further editing).

Participant

The MOST time saving and economical way to do VHS to DVD is simply to go to WalMart and purchase a Magnavox (Philips really) deck that does it neat and clean without a lot of hassle. The deck without a tuner is only $150. Unless you’re going to get kneedeep into editing that stuff, working overtime to make something of it more than simply capturing the “money” shots (still something easier done after straight conversion) the above solution is GREAT – if you’re doing VHS, that is.

I thought of that a while back, when they were $250+. I thought it was too expensive. Now you say $150, which sounds better.

I’ve got a DVD player, a Blue Ray Player, a DVD Combo Samsung DVD-V2000. My gosh the thought of buying another darn box to hang out in the garage don’t appeal to me much.TheSamsung will record onto the VHS, and play the DVD. What a world we live in. LOL

I’d rather spend the $150 on competent software that would helpwith other Video/media editing, etc. than buy another player box anything.

Not that I don’t appreciate your posting.

Inactive

I have this and it works very well for me. I connect an old Hi-8 camcorder to my computer using rca jacks from my camcorder to the converter. Then a firewire cable from the converter to my computer. Very simple to operate and works very well. It eliminated the ‘dropped frames’ I was having when I connected the camcorder directly to my computer’s rca or s-video jacks.

http://www.datavideo.info/en/products/dac200.shtm

Inactive

Pinnacle makes a product called the Dazzle I think that allows you to hook a VCR to the computer where you can either edit the video or burn it to DVD automatically. This works great and is a cheap easy fix to your problem. The only disadvantage is that it converts it to analog then back to digital. This can affect quality, but I can’t tell much of a difference.

Inactive

The title of your post – convert VHS without using camcorder.

If your computer has a video card with RCA inputs (white, red, yellow), you can import directly from a DVD player – providing you have software to accept video and export the video to a DVD burner .

If you don’t have a video card with the RCA jacks, then you need a converter, such as a Canopus 110 – and software to export to a DVD burner.

If you have an Apple and want to use iMovieHD, you’ll need firewire which the Canopus 110 has.

Participant

I have a coverter Plextor M402U with accompaniing software which I will be glad to ship to you for $60. We are in the wrong section of the forum, as I understand, though.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap