Conversation Camera Angles

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all, i’m new at this film making thing, so if any newbieness of my shows, please forgive πŸ˜€

Anyway, you know how in movies, when two people are talking to each other and the camera are cut to the person that’s currently talking. Is that done just by filming the scene twice? from two different angles…or something much easier? haha.

Thanks all.. πŸ˜€

Inactive

Howdy shrimp! πŸ˜€

It honestly depends on how the conversation or interview is shot. Sometimes they’ll re-shoot a scene twice. Other times, they’ll position the cameras so they can record both ends of the conversation at the same time. For example, in the movie Frequency, both the 1969 and the 1999 scenes were shot simultaneously, on two sets that were built so the actors could know what the other was doing. It made for a very realistic effect.

Ultimately, no matter which way you shoot a conversation, the number one rule is to use screen direction to your advantage. What I mean is, if your camera start on person 1, who is looking off to the right, then your shot of person 2 should show them looking to the left. This allows the brain to "see" the person off-camera, and the shot looks right to the mind of the viewer.

Participant

I see what you mean, thanks for the tip.

As i only have 1 camera at my disposal, the only way to get it done, is to shoot the shot twice…that could cause some trouble, if the lighting changes and things, because when editing, it would be hard, but if we are in a room with artificial light, it should be fine right? πŸ˜€

Inactive

Oh yeah, doing this sort of thing with one camera is easy. Just tape it twice, and edit it all later. Lighting definitely is a concern, but if you don’t use your camera’s auto exposure setting, and if you keep all your lights in the same locations, you should be just fine.

You’ll have to let us know how it goes!

Participant

Hi,

Movie Trivia: Sometimes stand-ins will do the other person during a dialogue scene, where only one character is in the shot.

Famous example: In On the Waterfront (Best Picture Oscar, Best Actor Oscar Brando, Best Supporting Actor Nomination Steiger), there is a famous dialogue scene in the back of a taxi between Brando and Steiger. Brando wasn’t there when Steiger did his lines in the one-shot take; a member of the crew stood-in for Brando and read Brando’s lines. Steiger was quite "ticked off" about this but his anger may actually have made his performance more intense. Brando’s absence was due to a clause in his contract allowing him to leave the set by 4 pm every day so that he could meet with his psychiatrist!

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Inactive

Another thing you could consider is asking open-ended questions and using b-roll between shots, accompanied by narration or other sound bites, like music or ambient sounds such as birds singing or machinery, etc. If you ask the interviewEE, Do you like ice cream? He might say, Yes. But if you say, Tell me how you feel about ice cream., he will start talking about ice cream, which is a lot easier to use than the word yes and will allow the intervieweR to stay out of the video. Using b-roll between the interviewees statements, (not his answers) makes a much nicer presentation and eliminates the need for 2 cameras.

Participant

thanks all for the great advice, but being new at this filming thing, there are some terms that needs explaining..

for example what’s stand-ins.. and also what is b-roll? hehe thanks a lot πŸ˜€

• Viewing 6 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap