Connecting the XL2 to a computer

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      fjclaus
      Participant

I just aquired a Canon XL2 camcorder, but noticed my laptop doesn’t have a firewire port. Is there any other way to connect the camcorder to the laptop? I have eithernet, and USB ports, but no firewire.

Fred

doublehamm
      Participant

You will have to get a firewire card to stick in that laptop to transfer mini-DV to it, OR transfer it to another computer then to the laptop.

fjclaus
      Participant

Can any computer accept new cards? I’ve never added a card before.

EarlC

Fred,

There ARE cards made for MOST computers, but not ALL computers have slots for them. The majority of desktop models DO have PC/PCI or other slots capable of accepting a firewire card, but you’d need to do a Google search on your make and model to determine which brand and model, if any, would work in yours.

Post your computer specs here and somebody should have enough knowledge to get you going in the right direction.

Thanks for the VST plug, by the way. Much appreciated.

fjclaus
      Participant

Any time Earl, I’m really looking forward to setting this up. Trouble is I just noticed my laptop doesn’t accept firewire. I’m going to partner with a friend of mine who has a complete studio set up until I get a new desktop model.

EarlC

Cool. Also, there are various card adapters and cables that convert from firewire to usb but that might cause some tradeoff in the quality??? Still, could be a temporary option until you move up. They run from $10 to $60, according to this link. There were other links as well when I did a Google search for firewire to usb cables.

fjclaus
      Participant

I saw some on TigerDirect.com from between 19.99 and 99.99 depending on what I wanted to get. I was looking into one but not sure if I want to go that route yet.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Professional Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN