Confused about how to shoot

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi all,

I’m new. I hope you all are well. I’ve been interested in filmmaking for a long time–ever since I saw Jaws, but I just never made the move until now.

I want to start out making short films. I’mjust not sure how to shoot scenes. Do I shoot the entire thing in a long shot and then shoot again in medium and then in close ups. Or do I only shootthe entire thing in a long shot and then pick which shotsI want in medium andclose up?

Thanks much,

Joyce

Participant

I’d say that’s up to you.

I actually started production on another movie today and what i did was turn the camera on, hit record, tell my actors what to do and just keep recording until i got a good “take”. I have a Flash media camcorder, so I can afford to do this.

I don’t do LS, MS, CU or any process. I figure out the way the shots will look in my head right before I shoot, then hurry and bang it all out in one take each if possible. Very strange perhaps, but that’s me. That’s how I shot my most successful movie to date and it’s very relaxing.

Good luck! Chris of Colorado

Inactive

I have to agree with ChrisColorado.

When I shoot a project I visualize everything before hand. You should write down every shot before hand, plan every shot, every scene, every line. Just remember, shoot like an editor, and don’t take any crap from your actors – LOL!

Seriously, I shoot the same scene from different vantage points and take the best – sometimes mix serveral shots from the same scene. Experiment and keep you first project simple. (it will complicate itself on its own)

Namaste,

Trey

Participant

Another helpful tip about shots/production:

If you do use a script and storyboard(this is highly recommended, but as i said above, I don’t), then put it up on the wall or somewhere where your actors and crew can see it. This is preferably the storyboard. Then, your crew can look at the storyboard and figure out the shot for themselves, rather than you having to explain every shot to them. You just OK it, sit back in your Director chair and ask the grip to go get more Doritos.

Then, after each take, go cross off the storyboardshot you just didwith a big black “X” using the Sharpie you brought along. When all the shots are crossed off, everyone can strike and go home. This helps both cast and crew with motivation, and the determination to keep going, because everyone only has to look on the wall to see how long they have to stay and it’s pretty obvious how much you’ve done already.

I heard this tip from a pro writer/director who lives a couple towns away. He used Kinko’s boards on easels.

Participant

Yeah, as stated above, if it’s your first project, keep it simple.

And I usually just have one scene shot over and over again. from different angles of course.

You always want to have more than you need, because you will be kicking yourself when you dont’ have enough shots while editing.

forexample, one of the scenes i’ve shot, a simple scene of a girl picking up a mobile phone call. That took me a few hours to shoot. That was one of my first few projects too. I just wanted to get all the angles perfect. It was about a 10sec scene, and i ended up about 10, 20mnin footage. πŸ™‚

Participant

For dialogs you might as well want to use 2 or 3 camera setting, each camera pointed at different character.

A good way to learn it: take apart and put together. Record any show or movie you like, then play it in slow motion, or frame by frame again and again, you’ll see how it’s been edited. And after that shoot your scenes thinking as an editor.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera β€” 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap