Computer microphones

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I plan to use a microphone plugged in to my computer to add narration to a video or slideshow project. I used a cheap headset on my first project and the sound quality was marginal. I would appreciate suggestions as to what I should buy. Is the headset approach best for this application? 😯

Participant

to bad someone hasn’t tried to respond to your question yet, but I will give it a try. although I don’t do any narration, this website looks like it has some decent information, it might give you some ideas nonetheless.———->http://homerecording.com/digital.html

Participant

Depending on what kind of money you are willing to spend there are a ton of options. To get some of the best possible audio into your computer you need a good quality recording mic. ($300-$400 would do well) and a computer audio interface such as a firewire solo($250-$300 would do well) So… top of the line $700 but you didn’t want that. Check out computer audio interfaces that have xlr inputs, and get a nice XLR mic (I have a shure sm58 that works nicely)

Later
    ~Adam

Participant

I agree, that works well. Best yet, connect your camera to your computer via firewire before recording and you can capture directly to hard disc, saves tape, and capture time. It makes for a good computer audio interface that way I suppose. But don’t forget you’ll still need a decent mic connected to your camera. The on-camera mics aren’t good for narration.

Thanks
    ~Adam

Participant

Have you heard a mac mini? I don’t know if anyone has:) Yeah, wasn’t thinking about the fan buzz because I do my V.O. work with my mini and it’s as quiet as a mouse. Anyway, do make sure background sound is at a minimum. When I’ve done on location vo work a laptop works great. Just out of curiosity Hank, why do you use a chroma screen for a Voiceover? do you use the person talking in your video?

Later
    ~Adam

P.S. the disagreeing is healthy, spawns good debate.

Participant

Anyone notice the original message was from a year ago? I doubt he’ll ever read these responses (or he already firgured it out) LOL.

Inactive

I wish they’d come out with quiet PCs. I have to wear headsets when doing audio fine-tuning.

Well, they do have water cooling for CPU, VGA, and HDD, which if you do it right, is virtually silent. Also, Zalman makes a TNN (totally no noise) case that is 100% fanless: http://www.zalmanusa.com/

• Viewing 6 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap