Computer for video editing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

A friend of mine wants to build a computer for doing video editing and mixing. What sort of hardware would he need and I dont know what difference this makes but he says video size will be 1920 X 1080

Joe,

Check out the discussions on the ‘To Build or Not to Build’ Post.

Participant

Just a quick bit of advice – 1920 X 1080 is high definition – Think the fastest, most powerful monster you can build and he will do fine. Seriously, nothing less than a decent speed Core 2 Duo (Core 2 Quad or higher would be better), at least 2GB RAM (4GB or more would be better), more hard drive space than you can imagine set up in a RAID-6 configuration (seriously, five terabytes would be my staring dream machine).

Now all this may be out of your friends (monetary) reach but hey, you asked – If money were no object, I’d probably spend somewhere around $5,000 – yes that was five thousand dollars – on my editing box, then add about another five grand for software and royalty free assets (already have a few thousand sunk int those already).

Inactive

I agree with birdcat’s specced system, but I think you can build that system for $2k.

I can not recommend any of the name-brand pc’s out there, I believe them to all be junk.

My recommendation:
      Asus P5 MB + quad core $400
      4G Ram………. $50
      video card ….$200
      WinXP…………$140
      2x 1T hd set up as RAID 1 … $200 (seagate or maxtor… NO WESTERN DIGITAL!)
      your favorite case and power supply: $200
      he already has the mouse and keyboard.

make sure your monitor(s) can display 1920×1080!

and as composite pointed out, by all means check out the other thread.

Participant

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think ive a fair idea of the spec now but what capture cards would be good for taking live feeds from cameras and outputing them on a screen. he wants to be able to takes feeds from 3 cameras. I understand firewire is not suitable for this as there is 1/2 second delay and this needs to be live.

Joe,

Have you looked into New Tek’s Tricaster? Their systems have RCA and firewire connectors if the delay is an issue. Check them out at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=2865&shs=&at=Brand_NewTek&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

Participant

Have looked at them but the price is out of his league unfortunately plus to have to get a computer for video editing on top of that is way too much

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap