computer crashes during render of raw video

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

hi all,

I have a sony laptop and a Sony HDR-HC3 and when I go to render the project, about half way through I get the blue screen of death and have to restart the comnputer – loosing the rendered file…. would rendering video do this??? is this common??? is it just overtaxing the computer, I have dual intel processors and 3gb of ram…… I thought this would be enough!!! please let me knjow if there is anything that I can do as this is getting very annoying!!!!!

In all probability your computer is choking on the processing overload. I’m not PC literate, but I suspect that IS your problem … that or faulty software, corrupted files, etc.

Participant

thanks Earl C

Participant

3 gigs of ram sounds low for a windoze machine…. also possible you got a bad or improperly seated ram module…..

also are you using an external hard drive? Firewire?

other than that, my advice would be to put the sony in a blender, then flush the remnants down the john, and call your insurance company and claim it was an “act of Dog”, or somethin, and go shopping for a mac…. but some will tell you I might be crazy, so take my advice at your own risk.

Participant

3Gb is the max for a 32bit OS so it’s probably not that. There are a number of things to check but, most importantly, try to determine if it’s the computer, the software or the video files. For instance, bad RAM can produce render errors, or a system that goes into sleep mode, or a hard drive with too many errors or too little room to render. Software: if you are using a lite version or program and doing a CPU intensive project, the program may not be able to handle the length or number of video effects. Also, video files can get corrupted, your source files may be corrupted already. In that case you will have to rebuild your assets and check them to make sure thay all play through.

I’d bet it’s a hardware problem of some sort (for example, a bad sector on a drive, and when your computer goes to write to that sector it freezes).

Like BruceMol said, try to isolate the issue. Try rendering different files (small ones and different ones) and see if that works. Try rendering bigger files from a different camera. Experiment a little and see if you can pinpoint what’s giving it fits.

Jarrod,

It’s assuredly a hardware issue. First off, 3GB’s isn’t enough RAM to run your system and render HD video despite having two processors. Also, your editing software may not work with dual processors or may not be configured from your end to do so. There’s probably a bottleneck with the data streams and the issues brought up by the other posters may be in play.

Depending on your type of RAM, you may need to bump up to 6, 4, or 8GB to get good renders without bogging down the machine. Also, what version of Windows (not spelled with ‘doze’) are you using? Right off the bat if it’s not the Pro Version that’s part of your problem. The Home Versions were never intended for true video editing whereas the Pro version is.

In the meantime, do as psuedo suggested and do some renders of short clips 2-5 seconds to see isolate the issue. In the meantime, I’d check to see what your system’s max memory capacity is and start stocking up on RAM.

Participant

thanks everyone for your wonderful comments….. I am using a 64bit OS with Win 7 Pro, I checked the HD and it said no problems, the ram was reseated and checked and Passed the inspection….. I think its a ram issue, cant afford to go to 8gb, but can do 4 maybe 6 at the most. I am using Sony Vegas software to render and am only shooting in DV 720X480 so it can render faster……. is Vegas a stable program or should I be using something else???? please let me know asap!!!! thanks in advance

Jarrod

Participant

Jarrod, I would definetely follow the suggestions about trying to isolate the problem by using very short video and rendering it. See if as you ad either length or effects to the video you run into the problem. One thing that I could suggest is to make it a habit to clean up your hard drive on your computer and defragona regular basis ( maybe even after every few projects). If you are at the minimum of specs for the job, you need to freshen up the computer often. You can set your computer to do this automatically but don’t forget when you schedule this so it doesn’t mess up your overnight (while your sleeping) rendering session. Keep shooting.

Participant

By the way I use Vegas Movie Studio and haven’t had any of these problems. I did have similar problems using another brand about3 years ago on the same computer.

Jarrod,

Vegas Pro is very stable but it needs RAM to work. Like I said, 3GB isn’t enough to work in HD and run your core systems particularly a 64-bit one. 4GB is minimum for most NLE’s capable of running 64-bits. You should check with Newegg.com to find compatible RAM for your system at a lower cost. Also, consider buying more RAM that’s a step down from the highest-end. It will be cheaper than the fastest you can get, but will compensate because there will be more GB’s available for rendering. Right now, you’re just trying to get the job done smoothly as your budget will allow.

Participant

Check http://www.Crucial.com for ram, it will inspect your system and give you some options, they buy it at hrrp://www.BHPhotoVideo.com or just check out B & H photo video if you know what you need, Ram is getting cheaper by the day. I got an additional 8 gig of ram from B & H for under $150 for a Mac no less, PC should be less expensive.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap