Compressing video

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I use the included software that comes with my Panasonic HDC-HS100 camcorder to transfer the HD video files to my Sony FW laptop ( Vista/32 bit ).The files come out as m2ts files, so I have Roxio Creator 2009 convert them to AVI files. I edited 8 clips & the result was a 1 GB/5 min. long clip. I tried at least a dozen different settings to compress this file ( to e-mail ), but the results would always be very poor quailty for anything size UNDER 10 MB. Am I trying to do the impossible ? Are there free programs that will allow me to send this video with decent quality & still keep the file size managable ? I know nothing.

Participant

This type of issue can be hard to work around and get reasonable quality. If you’re trying to accomplish this, e-mail is not the way to go. Depending on the length of the video, compressing into pod-sized Portable MPEG-4 will probablymake the video hardly viewable and still too large.

Try using a free online storage service, such as YouTube or MediaMax. Link the video into an e-mail and give the username/password.

Inactive

you would need to render the files to a mp4, wmv, mov or some other highly compressed format for web in order to email something of that size, but not at the same quality as you would be drastically reducing the resolution.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap