Complicated Question Please Help If Can!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Alright you guys are always the braintrust that I turn to in my times of need (sad I know) but I have a problem and I hope someone here might have the answer. I’m working on a project that will become our next film. Basically we have some footage that was shot in the late 60’s. A person has restored the footage and put it on a DVD but every file, instead of being a .avi or .mov, etc., is in .gif format. it’s like he took each frame and layered and layered it into one .gif file. Now some of the files are decent sized 34MB. Here’s my problem. I need to get these files into my editor which is Vegas Video. When I take them directly into Vegas, it recognizes them but only 1 frame of it. I’ve tried downloaded the .gif to .ave converter… same thing, it will convert it to .avi but instead of having a 20 second movie it’s a 20 still picture. I’m really frustrated, I can’t seem to get this. Any suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks for listening guys

Inactive

tkelly16 Wrote:

A person has restored the footage and put it on a DVD but every file, instead of being a .avi or .mov, etc., is in .gif format. it’s like he took each frame and layered and layered it into one .gif file.

Wow! 😯

I don’t think I ever heard of this before. You’re saying that this guy took like 8mm or something and converted it to a DVD in a GIF format?

Why GIF?

What good is that going to be? You can’t play a gif formated file on a DVD player unless I’m outa touch with reality.

I just had this done for my boss and the place I took it to took all of the 8mm and converted it to a standard DVD mpeg format so that my boss could watch them on his TV with a standard DVD player.

"compusolver", have you heard of this before? BTW: How’s the widescreen edit going?

RAM

Inactive

:-// Sorry Hank!

I thought you said you were shooting a family related wedding in 16:9 widescreen for the first time. Yeah I know Adam is working on a biggie and like you I’m also jealous.

Read you loud and clear on the gif’s. I guess when I saw the poster mention that they had footage converted to DVD I assumed it was 8mm film archived to a DVD.

RAM

Inactive

I’ve never heard of .gif being a viable format on DVD. It’s not on any of my machines, anyway.
      I still think of the wide screen/big screen as a drive-in. That may not render with the younger crowd. πŸ˜‰ I think we are still a couple years away from real HD production demand.

Inactive

KBVP,

I agree! I looked at one of my newer DVD set-top players and it can play (.mpeg) (.wmv) and (.mp3) files but not (.gif).

However… that’s my set-top player. Your PC DVD drive should be able to play them as a file which is what "composolver" and I are thinking.

Assuming that the footage that was converted was old fashion 8mm, the question I still have is why would this outfit convert "tkelly16"’s footage to a (gif) format?

RAM

Participant

Sorry bout that I should have been a little more specific. The gif files are like on a data DVD, not to be played in DVD player just mass storage. Wouldnt’ fit on a regular CD-R.

And…

In case anyone would like to know, after my 4th day of extensive research I finally found a program that will accomplish what i need River Past Video Cleaner did the trick.

http://www.riverpast.com/en/prod/videocleaner/index.php

I have to buy the prog because the demo leaves a watermark on the final output file but it converted it to .avi, .mpeg, and .mov, and worked beautifully I might add. I have no idea why this person outputed it to this format. speaking to my executive producer, he said that this gentleman has some special equipment to restore old video and it outputs it to this only. I’m not sure if that’s true. Maybe the guy just doesn’t know how to render it to an actual video format. He’s a engineer that specializes in restoration not video. I will keep you guys posted, this footage is pretty big news. We paid quite a bit of money to obtain the rights to it and we’re the only production company in the world that will have access to it. We’re going to be shooting a film based on this footage and hopefully will be really cool. As soon as we start production, and I’m allowed to, I will devulge more information. Stay tuned. In the meantime check out our first finished feature

http://www.expectamiraclethemovie.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap