Complete Newbie Here. Bear with me.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have tons of video on MiniDV. My camera is a Sony DCR-TRV33. I have a moderately fast computer, with enough of what I need to do editing. I just installed a new Firewire port for connecting to the camera. I just installed a Sony DVD-RW and it seems to be installed correctly. The test I did seemed to burn a dvd fine, but I cant play DVD’s. When I put a DVD in to play, it just spins up and then spins down. I also have a CDRW installed as well.
      My questions….
      I dont want to make money doing video editing, I just would like to get better at it. I am an avid off-roader, and we video our outings with the camera. We also take general family video. I would just like to be able to do basic editing to just make viewable movies to put on DVD.
      I played around with some video as soon as I had everything installed the other night, and was using PowerDVD and Windows Movie Maker. Which of these two should I use? Which is easiest to learn on?
      When I am capturing video from the camera, do I just need to set it to capture, and walk away til it is done? It seems like there would be a faster way, other than watching it in real time while it is capturing.
      If anyone wants to tackle this, or knows of any articles or tutorials online that could teach a newbie like myself, it would be greatly appreciated. A person could also email me with any info at ssparks@allegiance.tv Once again….. Thanks in advance.

Inactive

oklazukguy,
      OK, you seem to have several questions, so maybe I should start by listing the steps I take to make a DVD, and you can see where your steps differ.

1. Upload from camcorder to computer. This results in several .AVI files on my computer hard drive.
      2. Use my editing software to create a movie from the individual .AVI files, and save it as a .AVI file (or maybe as .MPG file)
      3. Use my DVD authoring software to convert the movie into files for a DVD, and burn the DVD. (Note: depending on your authoring software, it might accept .AVI or .MPG as input.)
      4. Check what’s in the DVD. 2 directories: AUDIO_TS (probably an empty directory), and VIDEO_TS (with files ending in .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB .)

How close is this to what you’re doing?
      (BTW, your editing software and authoring software MIGHT be combined in one package.)

Ken Hull

Inactive

I appreciate your responses. As I am seriously new to this, I am not understanding alot of your terminology.(VBR, CBR, AUDIO_TS, VOB, .IFO, etc) And although this is driving my nuts, because I did consider myself pretty computer literate, I know it is like anything else, and I just have to learn it.
      Like I was saying, I have Microsoft Movie Maker on the computer, and my DVDRW came with PowerDVD, Nero, and Cyberlink PowerProducer.
      I guess I will address one question at a time…. When capturing video from a camera like this, do you have to do it in real time. Can the computer not capture while it is Fast Forwarding? Just curious, because it does take a while to capture a whole tape. Or, am I going at this the wrong way? Do you guys even capture the whole tape, or just the clips you are using to make whatever movie you are making at the time?
      Thanks again.

Inactive

oklazukguy,
      I guess there are a couple questions I should have asked first:

1. Can you play commercial DVDs on your computer? If not, maybe you need to buy DVD-playing software (like WinDVD) or look for a free player. Try:
      http://www.avsmedia.com

2. Can you play your home-made DVD on a regular DVD player? If not, use your computer to look at what’s on your DVD. You should see 2 directories:
      AUDIO_TS (probably an empty directory), and
      VIDEO_TS (containing files ending in .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB
      If that’s not what you see, your homemade DVD wasn’t prepared correctly.

Hope this helped, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Actaully compusolver, I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one:

Two weeks ago, we did a Pakastani wedding. A four camera shoot that took seventeen tapes. We used two computers to capture, then copied the avi’s from one drive to another over our server. It still took all day. Makes us wonder why we don’t just do wedding photography. Those photogs have it easy!

When I shot film, my hours invested in a single wedding was close to 20 hrs.

When I went digital it jumped to nearly 40 hrs.

approx 8 hrs for full day journalistic coverage.
      3 hours setting uptaking down equipment.
      1 hour to transfer 1000-1400 images to computer.
      15 mins backup
      30 sec-2 minutes basic retouch/edit for each image (approx 400-500 images)
      1 to four hours with bride to select images for Album
      10-40 mins touch up/artwork on final images up to 40 in an album.
      print orders to lab, album assembly
      wall prints to framers.
      1-3 hours images burned to dvd slideshow
      add in travell times for all that running around, plus the sales consult and it adds up to about forty hours of hard work.

now…

I’v added video to the mix.
      Video is better suited to the speaches and dancing.
      Equall in the ceremony.
      Photo is great at the park, for formals, candids.

What I’m seeing now, is this:

I’ve cut my images to 500-600 to start edit down to 150-200
      cut my editing time.
      added capture and video edit time.

end result….

shaved a couple hours off my total, cut back on printing costs, and raised the percieved value of our package.

It ain’t easy doing weddings for anybody but the groom. He’s only got to shake off a hangover, be on time, stand up straight, and remember two words.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap