You're using a beta version of our new web site.

Compare DVX-100B and DVC80!!

Home Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders Compare DVX-100B and DVC80!!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lunatico 8 months ago.

• Author

DemetriD60
    Participant

Hey everybody, Im new to the forum and need some advice. I have the option to purchase both a DVX-100B used at a relatively good price and a DVC80 at probably a better price. I’m going to film school in a couple months at full sail here in orlando. I like to make shorts (simple) and shoot wakeskating videos as well as the occasional product demonstration or advertising video, just to explain my needs in a camera. I have used the DVX-100B an love the features and professional feel and operation of the camera. How do the two compare in features, overall use, and quality? Any info is great.

Thanks

Demetri

lunatico
    Participant

The AG-DVC80 only shoots interlaced DV-29.97, it has no “p” mode like the DVX100. Other than that they are virtually identical in features. I think if you search around a little bit here on videomaker you can even find a thorough review of the DVC80 they did a few years ago.

DemetriD60
    Participant

alright that is what i figured. Let me ask you this, How long ago did this camera come out and has there been any upgraded versions?

Anonymous

Are you sure you want to buy your own camcorder right now? Every school I’ve looked into provides students with access to all sorts of equipment. Full Sail advertises industry current tools for all the students. This would give you access to camcorders of similar to far greater quality than what you are thinking of buying. You will undoubtedly have access to the Panasonic P2 series of camcorders (or an equivalent tapeless workfow camcorder.) And should be able to try out a variety of camcorder models & brands during the course of your studies.

Now if Full Sail requires you own a camcorder of your own, they will already have established standards & suggested models. But if they don’t require a comcorder, I’d suggest waiting till graduation to spend more than a couple of thousand dollars for a camcorder. During your time in school they will provide some of the best equipment in common use in the industry for you to do your assignments. Then when you graduate in four years, you’ll know exactly what you’ll require for your career. And for the same money in four years, camcorders will have advanced in capacity & quality. Not to mention that issues of HD formats and economical tapeless workflows will have been resolved.

So that’s my advice. Unless you require a prosumer camcorder right now, you’d be better off waiting. Either put the cash in savings or use it for budgets in all the student productions ahead of you. And good luck with school, I’d even consider Full Sail if I could find the money & the time.

lunatico
    Participant

I believe the DVC80s were released late 2002, early 2003-and to my knowledge there have never been any upgraded versions.

DemetriD60
    Participant

Are you sure you want to buy your own camcorder right now? Every school I’ve looked into provides students with access to all sorts of equipment. Full Sail advertises industry current tools for all the students. This would give you access to camcorders of similar to far greater quality than what you are thinking of buying. You will undoubtedly have access to the Panasonic P2 series of camcorders (or an equivalent tapeless workfow camcorder.) And should be able to try out a variety of camcorder models & brands during the course of your studies. Now if Full Sail requires you own a camcorder of your own, they will already have established standards & suggested models. But if they don’t require a comcorder, I’d suggest waiting till graduation to spend more than a couple of thousand dollars for a camcorder. During your time in school they will provide some of the best equipment in common use in the industry for you to do your assignments. Then when you graduate in four years, you’ll know exactly what you’ll require for your career. And for the same money in four years, camcorders will have advanced in capacity & quality. Not to mention that issues of HD formats and economical tapeless workflows will have been resolved. So that’s my advice. Unless you require a prosumer camcorder right now, you’d be better off waiting. Either put the cash in savings or use it for budgets in all the student productions ahead of you. And good luck with school, I’d even consider Full Sail if I could find the money & the time.

Actually, Full Sail does provide all sorts of equipment. However, the need for equipment for school is not the reason I want to purchase a camera. I have a bunch of friends who are big into Wakeskating and Im into still photography but wanted to be able to shoot wakeskating videos. I also have a hook up with a club promotion company who needs video for their website which is why I’m considering my own, not to mention for fun/spare-time kinda deals. I understand it would be smartest to keep the cash but then again, what is to be learned by having my own camera to use for projects unrelated to school. I appreciate the advice however, i believe im still in the market lol. Im hearing that the dvc80 is old…by like 5-6 years whereas the 100b is a very current, and upgraded model.

I do appreciate the info though.

Ken
    Participant

DVX100b for the win! Seriously. According to CNET – “The Panasonic AG-DVX100B may well be the last and best semipro DV camcorder ever built.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.