Comedy Help Needed!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Well I have been making movies for about 1 year now and I have been trying to make them good for that 1 year. I make comedy’s and I would have to say that so far I am the worst comedy maker in the universe. I will maybe get 2 views every week on youtube and I will rarely get 1 comment a year. I am not a funny person ether but I am in love with comedy. Every time I get an Idea it becomes a failure. My cousin makes movies also but they get about 500 views a month and they are very funny. I am also the worlds worst script writer. I have tried to read everything I can about comedy but nothing helps. Another problem I have is that I am forced to use my friends as actors and all my friends are very bad actors. They also get really annoying when I am making a film with them. They always try to disagree with what I put in the video when they have no video making experience. They act like they are a big time movie director. My friends also my friends are even less funnier than me. Please tell me what I should do. Please help.

Inactive

Have some one hurt themselves. It doesn’t have to be real, just make it look real.People hurting themselves is usually pretty funny. and give your film a distinct name so that people will be more likely to look at it.

Participant

I have the exact same problem with action movies – oddly enough, they all turn into comedies. Part of the reason is the jokes. I make bad puns all the time and theyweave themselves into my scripts. The best I can say for that is keep working at it.

About the friends who are bad actors,I have the same, except that they make bad jokes too and then it turns into a comedy even more. Maybe you could get friends who make bad jokes. It usually works for me and my “comedies”. Part of that is the script too. On my last film, we used some actors from the nearby University studying acting. They were really good and they did it for free because they were getting class credit for it. (The film ended up a horror/mystery which is cause for rejoicing, because it’s the first film I did that didn’t end up a comedy!)

Good luck. I feel your pain.

Participant

try to video a serious documentary about you and your friends trying to film a comedy.

I bet it turns out hillarious.

Inactive

I like D0n’s idea!

I will start thinking of a script for it now!

Inactive

D0n’s idea is great. However, if you are trying to shoot documentary, don’t writea script. Shoot and shoot and shoot. Then in post you can piece it together and write a voice-over script.

Jeremy

Inactive

Well actualy I was thinking a serious film about making a comedy.

And I spent 2 hours making it. It turned out HORRIBLE!!

Even if it wasn’t I count make it.

Participant

My best comedy had no script. I went out and shot something and made it up as i went along. The story came together in the editing. It was a hit with the target audience who also were the actors. My little brother was the star of the show. My dad still quotes some of the lines. I think of that as my greatest success.

Inactive

I used to make them up as we went along but I thought it was stupid and unprofessional.

Participant

If it works, it probably doesn’t matter. Unique people are supposedly the famous ones in Hollywood. Be unique. My next films, I’m going to be the actors and the crew. Then, I’ll get all the money!:-)

Participant

will you post a link to your film. If I look at it I might be able to spot why you don’t get many hits.

Comedy is very hard. timing is every thing if its off it will kill the jokes.

Participant

I agree with GilbyGood. If we see the film, we can give you critiques. If you’d rather not, that’s fine too. Sometimes, I want people to leave my art alone.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap