Combing/Interlace Issue

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey all,

I’m working on a video that’s about 40 minutes long. The first 20 or so minutes was edited by someone else using Vegas Pro 8. It landed in my hands in the form of a rendered MPEG-2 file, which I brought into Final Cut Pro 5 and continued to work on. It wasn’t until I exported and burned to DVD that I discovered horrible combing and/or interlacing type effects, which are only visible when played on a TV.

Although I have all the original footage on DV tapes, I’m loathe to go back and re-do the first 20 minutes (which is the only portion with the combing problem). Is there any other way I can solve this problem?

I’ve considered re-rendering the MPEG-2 footage in Vegas to another format, then re-importing that to the FCP project…might that work? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Inactive

part of the issue you have is the fact that you are working with a highly compressed file that may not have been encoded at a high enough bit rate.

John

Inactive

giving this more thought, another possibility would be incorrect field order when rendered.

John

Inactive

Yeah, it sounds like a field order issue or a maximum bit rate set too high originally (this causes some set-top DVD players to start lagging), or even the encoding method (I’ve found one-pass constant bit rate to work well for most things, esp. with fast-moving shots/cuts). You could try running that through Compressor, or use the encoder (same engine as Compressor) in DVD Studio Pro. The easiest way is to modify the DVD High Quality preset in Compressor (use BETTER motion, I think it’s called, NOT Best).

All the best,
      Keith

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap