Color Monitor Question

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am new to Videography and editing. I have a custom built computer with Adobe Preimiere Pro 1.5. I also bought a used seperate TV color monitor off ebay. I have a video switcher hooked up to both the PC and the color monitor. So now my dumb question:

I was told that you should view your clips on a tv monitor to make sure it looks good for color and sizing, framing etc. before you render and export. How can I view a clip on the seperate TV monitor that I have edited? Can I do it from within Premiere Pro? Or do I have to run it through my video camera into the color monitor? I am fairly techy, but this one is driving me nuts. I am sure there is a simple way to do this.

Thanks!

Brad

Inactive

Brad

I never did this but I am building a pc with a card for dual monitors. I imagine there is a card with some other plug in for a tv – be that analogue or digital.

then there is a setting on 1.5 "view in external monitor that you woud use.

— I just upgraded to 2.0 and imported a sequence from 1.5 (which was fine in 1.5) but not the size is off. about 50% what is should be.

The source monitor is ok but the sequence monitor is too small by about 50% – I can add the zoom filter but that results in a poor quality.

am I missing something?

Inactive

Thanks to both of you!

Inactive

Compusolver;

in 1.5, the picture was fine (filled the window). in 2.0 its like 50%. (boardered with black)

what conerns me (besides I cant see what Im doing) is that im trying to set up a DVD from the 2.0 timeline.

the thumbnails are also 50% which leads me to beleive that it will also render at 50% and only play back at half the TV size.

Inactive

ok I hope this photo link works.

if it does, you should be able to see the black around the footage and the prroperties,

format = AVI
    size = 720 x 480

etc.

as I say, if I right click the timeline and click "scale to frame size" it fits but it becomes less clear (like zooming).

Im concerned that after rendering the dvd will play like this — even the chapter point thumbnails are 50% like that.

Inactive

Hi Hank

-> – I was showing you the properties window incase there was something out of whack with the properties.

-> – I removed all the filters (had some colour fixes on there) and got to "Motion" at which point I could see the "X" with the corners to grab – so I can resize it that way.

๐Ÿ˜• will this effect the quality of the dvd?

๐Ÿ˜• Also, since most of the sequence is undersized, is there anyway to rezize it all at once or do I have to go clip by clip? I tried using the "select everything to the right" tool but then the effects window said "no clips selected"

๐Ÿ˜• 3) when resizing, I added the "safe margins" — outside the outermost margin.. does that mean none of that will show on the TV? cause if thats the case, the rezizing would only be about 80-90% of the sequence window. Should I resize to that or to the window size?

๐Ÿ˜• while we’re rappin here, do you (or have you) use the SteadyCam filter — this is old footage shot on a spring / wind up 8mm camera – really jumpy. do you recomend those kind of filters?

Im having a PC built right now that will have dual monitor capability. Im hoping to be able to preview on a TV in future. Take the guess work out.

Inactive

YOu know, the easiest way to test this would be to vreate a whole new project file and drop a video clip onto it. If a brand new project does this to a raw video that looks right when it’s played in a standalone program (i.e. Media Player), then something might be up.

Have you tried opening the video file in something like Windows Media to make sure it’s not just that your raw video has this black border.

Inactive

Guys,

this is all great info! thanks so much.

I tried a test – blow out a disk to see what happens – after 7 hrs or rendering, the programs stopped. No error message or anything – just stopped and there was no dvd burnt.

My new PC has been put together. Once I get everything installed, I will post back to let you know how it turned out.

This all could be from a fault of the old pc cant keep up to the newer software – or a combination of the above.

Inactive

Yeah, I’ve had a blank frame halt a video before. That’s always a tough time, finding those.

I also ran into processing and memory problems on my old PC. I had a 1.4Ghz processor with a whopping 1 Gig of memory (on 4 sticks). I always had to defrag before I rendered anything, and I usually also needed to let the computer sit perfectly still for about 24 hours once I started. I’m very glad those days are over.

But life’s not all peaches and cream with my brand spankin new, top of the line PC either. I still have the occasional snag, but I’m getting pretty good at catching those before I render these days.

It’s all about doing the same thing over and over until you don’t have to think about it anymore. That’s the same method you take for any trade.

Inactive

Roll & Comp,

I cant say that I have ever experienced that video gap or missing frame phenomenon. Are you guys saying that if you have a finished edited/rendered timeline that you want to encode directly to a DVD or some mpeg format that the encoder will stop at an empty space on the timeline?

Wow!

I usually will just export that timeline as an AVI file and then bring it back into a new project and encode from there. The only reason I do that is that PPro loads faster because its not all clutter with all of the mish mash associated with a major edited project.

Do you guys think that PPro doesnt care if there is a gap when exporting an AVI file or am I just a lucky SOB? Somehow I have to think that PPro just looks at blank spaces as black video because I aint that lucky! ๐Ÿ˜›

RAM

Inactive

Actually, I’ve never had this happen on my new PC, but on my old machine, it did indeed hang if a single frame was missing from time to time. It did just substitute a blank screen if it were longer than one frame (i.e. a fade to black), but a single frame on a 60i format made life miserable every now and again.

Like I said, I’ve never experienced this on my new PC. Maybe the processing power to blank the screen for only one frame was too much for my old box? Oh well, it’s been parted out, so I guess the world will never know. ๐Ÿ˜›

Inactive

Ladies and Gentlemen,

-> just an update incase anyone was holding their breath over the weekend ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I said I’d post back …

Got my new PC together [dual core AMD 4500 or 4800 I think – told the techie to use PP2.0 specs + some. they sold me on AMD saying that the architecture was so that it doesnt have to run at the same speed as say a Pentium 3.5ghz to achieve the same results. I dont know it if it was a sales pitch but it seems to work alright.

burned a sequence I had from before – whereas with the old pc, the DVD stuttered – the new one plays fine and it rendered and burned a 30min project in about 10-15min. which was kewl! 8)

what Im having difficulty with now is that the new set up makes use of dual monitors and although I used the wizard to optimize the color settings of each, the picture looks very different from one monitor to the other. ๐Ÿ˜•

the way its set up is the workspace is on the right and the preview windows on the left.

I used auto color correct for the sequence but on the TV, it looked washed – like it needed more contrast (looked fine on monitor 1 however)

Im using both old style monitors – used the LCD that the new pc came with for the old computer cause someone told me that the old style monitors were closer to true TV color.

The other thing I’m noticing is that the new pc came with an (2nd) external USB hard drive — when I plug that into the old pc to move existing footage, its taking forever. Been running since last night copying 60gigs of footage and sequences.

Apparently, the old USB’s are not #2 – -is that a setting issue, driver or is it a matter of upgrading hardware to make it transfer faster?

also, can’t external HD use firewire? if so, wouldnt that be faster yet?

although I have produced a professional video some time ago (back when BetaCam Sp was in fashion) Im by no means a computer guru – not by a long shot – recently learned how to turn it on ๐Ÿ˜‰

Trying to get a handle on PP 2.0 as well. I used to use a program called Video Explosion Deluxe which was fast and easy to use (like a point and click camera ๐Ÿ™‚ VED looks exactly like Vegas Video and in fact, if you trace its ancestry, you will see that its related to Sony through several front companies (not unlike that of the Kevin Bacon story)

Last time tried export to DVD (old pc) it allowed me to add chapter points and vary the thumbnails for each however in the new pc, I imported a sequence that was already put together (using VED) I told PP to add chapter points at the beginning of each scene but it did not offer me a chance to add a DVD menu with chapters whats up with that?

Spending lots money ๐Ÿ™ but having fun ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Viewing 11 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap