Color bleeding

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

The bleeding shows up in iMovie 4 and Final Cut Express 2 after I uploaded the clips from the camera. I haven’t tried it on TV from the camera. I haven’t done the editing yet. Just the transfer. I have a Mac G5 and I use a Belkin fire wire cable to make the transfer. My Monitor is a NEC MultiSync.

The problem only occurs when I filmed snow on bright sunny days. In other lighting conditions there’s no bleeding.

Participant

I own a Canon ZR-60 mini DV. I’ve been doing a lot of outside filming this winter. I was filming seascapes and snow covered countryside in bright sunlight. My main problem is color bleeding around high contrast edges like ice banks floating on the sea. I’ve tried manual and automatic white balance adjustments but the problem persist. I plan on getting a 3 CCD Canon or Sony cam in the almost near future but for now I have to live with my ZR-60. I will be making a documentary soon and now I’m just practicing with the ZR-60. The documentary will be done eventually withh the 3 CCD cam.

Will a neutral filter do the trick or is there more to it to solve the problem. Will a neutral filter make the colors less saturated, and involve more post editing?

Thanks in advance!

Luc Fontaine

Participant

Is the color bleeding showing up when you play the dv tape out of the camcorder on a monitor, after editing on a computer and output back to the camera (if so what edit system are you using, hardware and software), or is it showing up after you dub it to a vhs tape to share with friends? What kind of monitor are you using to view and what kind of cables are you using to connect them?

Participant

So you only notice it on the computer monitor…

What does it look like right out of the camera on a video monitor?

My guess is it will look fine, and it will look fine after you edit and send it back to the camera. I think what you are seeing is an artifact that only appears on the computer monitor. But I might be wrong…

Participant

sounds like you are describing chromatic abberation or in digicam terms the dreaded purple fringing. I don’t know if the ZR 60 has manual iris control but you could try and stop the lens down with it, or try a neutral density filter.
      An ND filter of good quality should not have any effect on the color, it just reduces the amount of light to help control the contrast.

Participant

Thanks for all the help guys. I finally figured out it’s chromatic abberrations. I think a neutral density filter should fix it. If I don’t change my camera soon I’ll get one. Thanks again for the help.

Sincerily

Luc Fontaine

Inactive

when shooting on a 1CCD like a a ZR you neet an ND filter. Your camera lense is just a plain piece of class used for 3200K light, outside you need one that will deal with 5600K light. I would suggest a 5600K, 56000k 1/4 ND and a 5600K 1/16 ND for just the basic filters. Once you upgrade your camera these filter wheels should be built in and you will have manual control of your aperature. All of this will help you.

Participant

Thanks a million for the info. I will look into it for sure.

Best regards

Luc Fontaine

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap