College student seeking camcorder advice…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am a student at the University of Florida and I am looking to purchase a camera to start experimenting with my own films. The three cameras that seem to best fit my price range and experience are Canon’s GL2 and Sony’s HDR-HC1 and DCRVX2100. While the GL2 and DCR-VX2100 seem to be higher caliber cameras than the HDR-HC1, the HDR-HC1 seems to cater to the filmmaker market and also provide HD quality. Obviously, I can’t afford an HD tv, hddvd player, etc. so HD wouldn’t be an advantage for probably a year or two…. So the question is, with my current situation in mind, would I be foolish to forego HD for a more upscale and maybe obsolete camera? If so, which would be the better choice?

Participant

I would not suggest and HD, mostly for one reason:

It is not definate that either HD or Blueray are going to make is as the standard media format.

Also If you are new to filmmaking you might want to get a cheaper camera than something like a GL2. When I was in college I bought a Canon Optura Xi, which is kinda hard to find these days. They allow for a lot of manual control, which keeping the more complex stuff simplified. It is a great camera and is really good for someone who is new to filmmaking. It goes for less than $1000 these days and it will last you until you are ready for a better camera. It is a mini dv but it does really great animorphic 16:9 shooting.

I still use mine. and I can definatly say it is worth the money. Evnetually you would want to save up money and get a much nicer camera. I am going to be getting an XL2. I am skipping the HD for now because it is jsut not a viable format, and honestly it may not become one for home entertainment.

Since you are new and are wanting to experiment, get a cheap camera that gives manual control and then look into buying a good NLE. I got Vegas when I was in school for around $300, with academic discount. Just remember, when it comes to films. the camera is a very small part of the equation. If you need more info let me know. I am pretty much an exclusive indie-film hobbyist

Participant

While I feel the VX2100 is a great camera (one I would love to have), if you’re going to be spending that much money, you may want to spend a little more and go for a Sony HVR-A1U – It’s not a three chip but will do HDV. I would suggest you go to a reputable store in your locale and hold them in your hands and see how you like the feel/features – Then buy online from a reputable but reasonably priced source.

Participant

If you don;t mind me asking, FL_gator what is your budget, not just for the camera, but overall. I know that as a college student you are probably dirt poor and living off cold pizza and ramen. So are you saving up all your hard earned cash to buy a camra, or what? The budget is a very important thing to know, and knwoing your budget can help. It looks like you are looking at a $2500 – $3000 price range for the camera, do you already own all the other equipment you will need?

Participant

i am a college student in a similar problem, personally id suggest one of the panasonic 3-ccd cameras, ive been looking at the gs180, because it seems to be a nice camera and its under 500 bucks. its got the color quality of something professional camera say a vx 2100 or gl1, but its about a quarter of the price. the only problem ive heard about it it is supposed to be pretty bad in low light situations better for outdoor.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap