Cold Shoe Sizes?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Has anyone had any issues with the sizes (tightness) of any Video cold shoes? More specifically cold shoes sold either as an add on or as part of a camera bracket?

While My Sony Video and Nikon Still Cameras fit fine, Flash units, Azden Wireless Mic receivers, and even a Sony Shotgun Mic all are slightly too large to fit what has been sold as a standard cold shoe.

They are so tight as to make them unusable. I have never run into this before when mounting directly on cameras. However my new Canon has an “improved” ( read non standard) shoe that forces me to look elsewhere for a mount.

Thanks

Participant

The new Canon range has a smaller cold shoe. It is also a standard size. You can get an adapter from Canon and their accessories will fit the smaller cold shoe. Another solution is to buy a bracket for about $15 which will give you several standard shoes and a handy handle which is useful as these cameras are quite small.

I’ve run into that problem on rare occasions (mainly when it was most inconvenient!) If circumstances allowed, a quick run of a file from a multi-tool over the item’s shoe usually made the difference. However, if you don’t have the option to modify the gear, then by all means keep some Shoe Adapters on hand. I keep a couple that screw into the bottom of a camera just in case.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap