Cokin P series Filter System

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I was wondering if anyone has experience using the Cokin P series filter system? If you do I would appreciate your thoughts on the system.

Thanks

Cville,

I use the aIR-Matte matte box with a Cokin-P holder built in. Personally, I love it. I don’t have to screw my filters in any more, and they are pretty reasonably priced. I got my ND-2 and ND-4 filters, for example, for $8 and $9 respectively.

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Bill

Thanks for your input. I’m pretty certain I am going to go with the the Cokin system.

Inactive

Yeah, I have been using Cokin filters for my photography for years. The biggest advantage of the P series is that with an adapter they are suitable for any lens. Circular filters are not so easy to adapt to other sizes. Also when stacking filters, looking for the right combination is much quicker with the P series, this can be important in some situations like sunsets for example where the light is changing quickly. I would recommend them for anyone shooting with a dslr.

Inactive

Something else worth mentioning is the ease with which you can create your own effects filters to fit the P series holder. For example, take an old xray and cut a piece to fit the holder and you can create some nice effects for backgrounds on your credits and such. Also you can easily cut shaped holes to shoot through for vignette effects as well.

That’s exactly right, Dave. That’s why Hollywood has used matte boxes for the last 100 years – and how they got their name. Filmmakers, influenced by the mattes created by early photographers, used them to create in camera effects.

That is why I like my matte box more than I like any built in or screw on filter — creative flexibility. Hard to create a keyhole effect with a screw-on filter!

Of course, you can always add keyhole and other effects in the editing suite – but where’s the romance in that?

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap