Client wants to edit?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I had an inquiry today to do a wedding on New Year’s eve this year. They are looking last minute frantically. They also told me they wanted to edit themselves – which normally kind of worries me just handing out raw footage – but this would save me work on my end, plus the next morning I will be on a flight for vacation for a week so I would not have time to edit right away anyhow.

I am not sure what kind of rate I would give them compared to my normal pricing. Is this just a bad idea to begin with? If not what should I be looking at?

Inactive

Here is what I’d do.

I’m sure that you have an hourly rate on top of your normal package rates (Mine is $150/hr). I would charge them the hourly rate then hand over the video tapes.

Since I’m sure you don’t want your name on THEIR edited video, I would make sure that you tell them not to mention to anyone that you were involved in their wedding (especially if their editing is not any good).

Good luck.

Participant

Thanks for the pointer on not having my name in their video. I would probably write up a separate contract for all of this – including one for the raw files. Usually I sell the raw footage for a premium, but in this case I can justify going for much less giving them full control of any outcome. Besides, this is 1 week out and it would be income I was not planning on anyhow – other than my normal job I would have been working that night anyway. This is a bit more lucrative and I wont be stressing about editing while on vacation.

I don’t have any hourly rates anymore – I mainly sell packages as they are. I am there to complete the package, and give them what they want. I have found I actually work much less hours on location this way (which is a lot less editing later as well)than when I used to have packages that included an hourly option. I did too many weddings where I had everything the video would be able to handle on 2 DVDs or a Blu-Ray, and still 3 hours to”work” making myself look busy. The bride and groom are also under a lot less pressure worrying about me leaving at an important time in the evening.

I understand the hourly rate of $150 is probably fair, but that would also imply editing of that extra footage as well in my opinion. I may go a little less and see what they have to say!

Thanks much!

Participant

I have a couple of questions. How many cameras are you going to use? If you had to rent them they usually run around $150 per day. If you are shooting 2 then there is $300 just to bring your cameras.

I am assuming you are going to mic the groom, more equipment. It is usually sound business to cover your overhead and add on a profit margin imho.

Good Luck

Participant

Cville, you have a valid point as well. Unfortunately I am unable to get the night off from work anyhow, so this is a no go. If the economy was better I might risk calling in, but I can’t lose my bread and butter!

Participant

Tricky situation, do you have a friend or anotherbusiness you can push them towards for the editing part of it?

Participant

Just stick to the package price you quoted up front. If they still wanna edit themeselves, seweet, you more than doubled your rate. If not, it’s still plan A.

Participant

This is how I have started about 20 years ago – shooting raw on a full size VHS tape and exchanging it for cold cash after the day is over. People clearly were not interested in paying extra for editing. I think it’s still valid point. I would split the price of package in half for the”shooting only” option.

Participant

If you own a pair of scissors does that make you a barber?

I’ve had two customers request the “raw footage”. One of them had the $99 Pinnacle. Another requested an “editable DVD”, whatever that is. How much luck would they have had a few years ago asking a photographer for the negatives? I said no, because poor editing on their part can make my work look bad, and if they do poor editing, of course they’ll give me credit that. They don’t have color correction, they tend to over-use transition effects in the wrong places and the titles come out of a box. I justify it by referring to the known past policy of film photographers.

Inactive

I never give my clients an option to receive the raw footage, nor would I allow them to edit my shoot. If they want raw footage, they can get Uncle Bob to shoot it for free. If they want a cherished memory, they get my services.

Participant

I would charge them out the wazoo for my raw footage.

That said, I’m certain you shoot to edit – Are these folks aware that these tapes (if you use tape) are not family movies but sequences meant to be rearranged (some with multiple takes or related sequences on different tapes)?

I know the date is well past – This is a hot button for me (and others it seems) – Do you know if they got another professional to do it or did they rely on uncle Bob?

I dealt with this issue a while back with a long time client. They got new management in and despite my turning their projects around in a night and day fashion, they just wanted to try someone else. That’s the biz sometimes so I rolled with it.

However, I get a call from my comp about wanting the tapes from the shoots I did for the company since they were now doing the projects. I said, ‘sure’ and quoted them a price for a harddrive with the digitized footage I had archived and a license for a one time use. If they wanted to buy out the footage altogether, I quoted them my price and though it was steep it wasn’t outside the range of industry standards.

Now mind you they wanted more than 24 hours worth of raw footage and tried to impress me with the fact that they use ‘Avid’ and blah, blah, blah. (my co. has it’s own Avid array and I’ve worked on massive MC and Symphony Unity setups.) Anyway, they figured I was some yokel despite the high quality of the work I did and figured they could bulldoze me into coughing up the tapes for next to nothing.

Though it raised a pretty big stink and cost me my rep with the client, the deal was fair and they all knew it. I’ve still got the tapes and they did whatever and now no longer work with that client. So yeah, if the client wants the raw footage, long as they pay for it let them have it. If they want to ‘flock-up’ their precious wedding memories, charge ’em for the stick to get the birds in the air!

Participant

I have no problem with giving clients raw footage from their wedding video if they want to edit themselves as long as they don’t put my name to it. I also offer all my clients the opportunity to buy all their footage to be used as a backup of their files for 250.00. About 25-30 weddings per year go for this which is some good additional profit.

Beautiful Life Wedding Film & Photography

Participant

I offer a wedding filming service which lets my clients to edit themselves the wedding video. I talk over about the potential pitfalls and warn the clients that they may not be able to edit a professional looking video themselves. Once they understand that I have no problems to give the footage to them as long as they don’t say that the edit was done by me. Also editing tools are becoming more user friendly (iMovie) so if somebody is passionate to edit themselves they could potentially achieve a good results.

However, I also offer to edit later if the clientdecidesto the that.

Lastly this is a cheaper option for the clients.

Participant

When I got married back in 2006, I hired a guy from Craigslist to shoot my wedding for $300. He met me and showed me his work and it was really good. Steady shooting and smooth moves. Wireless mic and tripod. No table interviews because I didnt want them. Anyway, it was a bargain. I wasnt going to pay someone for editing my wedding when I know I could do it better and do it the way I wanted it. Er, the way WE wanted it.

Participant

Chances are, the client is just looking for a discount, thinking the editing is the smallest part of the job.  However, you might convince them otherwise by showing the raw footage and finished project video.  If that fails, then charge what you usually do so they can have the best raw footage possible.  Chances are, the client will see the wisdom in just having you edit the footage anyway, since your prices are not going down.  

welcome

This is not a bad idea to begin with. Like you said, it saves you more time and work on the backend. I do not see why a videography service should not give their clients the raw footage–they deserve it!

Plus, there are plenty of ways to deliver this footage so you don’t have to worry about it, even if the file size is large. Check them out here: https://valoso.com/blog/deliver-client-video-files/

Good luck!

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap