Client has video, but no audio?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

πŸ™ Hi there,
      for some odd reason a couple clients can see their video, but can’t hear the audio? The 2 vidoes in question were edited in movie studio ( think) my friend/partner did the editing.

Both videos play fine, video and audio on my dvd players. Any idea what the problem could be? How can I fix it?

Thanks ……

Participant

Also, what media are you using? DVD-R or DVD+R? I have had problems with compatibility with the DVD+Rs. I only use the DVD-Rs.

Inactive

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them! I use dvd-r most of the time, though I have a couple hundred dvd+r remaining.

compusolver, which low-end dvd player do you suggest? Must it be progressive scan?

Inactive

Hank,

I think you’re right! Just about all set-top players have the progressive scan feature. The thing you have to watch is that not all TV’s can support progressive scan signals. The standard NTSC CRT style interlaced monitors are the ones in question. Pretty much all of the hi-def sets shouldn’t have a problem as long as you have them hooked up with the correct cable connectors.

I too find it strange that the video plays but there is no audio. Usually they either play or they don’t play.

ishootparties: The clients don’t have the mute button pushed do they? X-D

RAM

Inactive

Totally agree! Thats why I said, not all TVs support progressive scan signals. Remember that there are still a lot of old TVs out there that just have coaxial cable connectors. πŸ˜‰

All I know is that I have a 36 regular CRT style upstairs that has s-video, RCA, component and coaxial connection jacks. I have it hooked up via RCA connections and when I set the DVD player to use progressive scan all I get is a blue screen. Not sure why nor do I care but Im pretty sure that it may have something to do with using the RCA connections versus using the component connections. I could be wrong though. Downstairs on the 53 DLP hi-def there is no problem. There everything is hooked up via high-end component cables. If I have time today maybe Ill do some research as to how this all comes into play.

ishootparties: Sorry to get side tracked here. I would do what compousolver suggested and take the disk that the client(s) were trying to play and play them in a different DVD player.

RAM

Hank, I’m not sure I could cover a 25 cent bet. Can you drop it a bit? X-D

Inactive

Hank,

Real quick… I think I found an article that is easy to follow regarding how a progressive mode signal works versus an interlaced signal.

The link below takes you to that article. I kind of thought that progressive scan signals only worked on certain televisions. It will only work if you have a digital TV. A DVD player that is setup to output a progressive signal will not work on a standard analog set because the TV is incapable of processing the video data fast enough.

I’m sure that this has nothing to do with the sound not playing though. Maybe its a codec issue or something.

http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=cat12077&categoryRep=cat03000&guideID=1043363101535&type=page#hardware

RAM

Inactive

Charles,

I was kind of wondering that too. However, the software that was used to generate this video is newer so I would have to assume that it was transcoding using PCM which is typically the default in most cases. The DVD also plays on the poster’s DVD player.

I really think it’s the client’s DVD player. If the player that was being used is older than 4 or 5 years then that could be the problem. If that is the case then I would find it funny that someone would actually keep a DVD player that long… especially with all of the recent advancements going on.

RAM

Inactive

Could be!

I’m still leaning towards the mute button! X-D

RAM

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap