Client back peddling

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Rex
      Participant

I need advice about how to handle this situation. I was contracted to document a memorial video. Yes, a funeral. Anyway, I finished the editing and production of the project ahead of schedule and informed the client. Now, due to the circumstances and short notice of the event I allowed the client to pay me half the balance due at the signing of the contract, and agreed to receive the other half after receipt of the video.

I informed the client that the video was ready for delivery and that we need to set a time and place to met to exchange the media for the remainder of the balance. The client sent me an email stating they would like “to see if it is what I want as a final version.” before fulfilling the balance.

So needless to say I feel like I am about to be bent over. Unfortunately I don’t have any clause in my contract protecting me from any demands from a client to constantly re-edit a movie until they are completely satisfied.

Do I have any legal grounds beyond my contract to hold this client to? I mean, if I go see a movie at the theater and I think it sucks, I don’t get my money back.

birdcat
      Participant

You could inform them they get ONE edit with a reasonable charge (say $50/hour) for edits after that, and they don’t get ANY copies until you’re paid in full – let them preview on the web with a low res (320 X 200) version.

You could also explain that each go round is not just a few minute fix but timelines need to be adjusted (effects, music, overlays, etc…) and there is extra render and burn time for each iteration – A five minute edit bay change could eat up a whole hour.

I once had the client from hell who demanded constant changes until I told him there would be a charge of $100 per change (individual, not batch) plus his project would go on the back burner until he paid an additional installment for the editing and other work, which was being neglected due to his incessant changes, was completed. He quickly signed off on the projects.

Rex
      Participant

Where could I post a low res version of the memorial. I believe youtube doesn’t allow video’s over ten minutes in length and this video is about 55 minutes long. Is there a way to go beyond this limit on youtube or should I use different site or method of previewing over the web?

Birdcat, again you have given me immeasurable truth, wisdom, help, and experience to guide me. I sincerely thank you and appreciate your help with all my questions and guidance.

pseudosafari

I was surprised to see Youtube no longer offers “Director Accounts” that exceed 10 minutes. It looks like Youtube won’t do it for you.

You might consider burning the lo-res copy to DVD (the client would see basically what he’s getting, and then it might leave him wanting more–i.e., the full-res copy).

Or, what if you burn it full-res and then put a watermark on the screen through the whole thing that says “Draft” or “This copy has not yet been paid for” or words to that effect? This way the client would feel a little funny showing it to anyone else until he pays for the clean, final version.

birdcat
      Participant

Rex –

You could create a flash version and post that on a website if you have one available (what I do).

Alternatively, Pseudo has a great idea (another “why didn’t I think of that” moment) – Just put a large “PROOF” watermark in the center of the video for the DVD you burn him. Also, if he wants explicit changes, you could, at the same time, put a timecode counter in one of the corners, so he can be exact at where he wants a change, which gets removed in final.

Rex
      Participant

LMAO, “This copy has not yet been paid for” That is a good idea! How do I make a flash version?

Grinner Hester
      Participant

Always give em an approval clip first. You can protect the file from being downloaded or watermark it but every client should have a chance to see what they are paying for. It’s simply not done until it’s approved, imo.

Once approved, do the swap.

Will he change a couple of things? Absolutly. Did you make way for that in your bid? Of course you did.

composite1

Rex,

The guys have passed on some good tips to you. Yes you definitely want to ‘screen’ the product at least once for the client. On a near feature length project like yours you probably should have offered 2 or 3. On my bigger projects I offer 3 viewings one of the Assemble Edit just to let the client see what we shot, one of the Rough Cut and one of the Smooth. Each time the client views it I get any changes required written down and the client signs their approval and we move onto the next stage. Each time they approve, I send them an invoice for payment for the work up to that point. By the time we get to the Smooth screening, it’s pretty much done except for whatever minor tweaks are asked for. After that is delivery of the final product.

An online screening is good when the client lives too far to meet with easily. But if your client is in the same town or city, doing a ‘Client’ Screening’ in person is best as you can discuss the work with them directly. If you don’t have a workspace to bring client’s in or it’s not convenient to screen in their home / workplace, then find a place where you can set up a reasonably sized TV or projector for viewing. If you have a laptop you can link up with the TV or projector.

The place should have reasonably comfy chairs as this is a longer piece you don’t want them figiting because their butt hurts! Let them watch the piece uninterrupted first and afterwards discuss the piece with them. Definitely have that timecode in there like ‘Cat suggested as it will make it easier for both of you to find what you’re looking for. It has been my experience to only use a laptop as your presentation device only if the screen is large enough (17″ or better) and you have a couple of people watching.

Take good notes and be very open to make changes, but remember to remind the client ‘that the more dramatic the change, the more time and money it will cost to do.’ After final approval of the Smooth Edit, no more changes.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I collect the remaining balance before or the day of filming. I will not film until the remaining balance is collected. This completely removes this element from the equation.

EarlC

My business and commercial clients get and pay for screening privileges. My events clients do not. My agreement calls for autonomy in shooting and editing and only offers a “reconsideration” in the event I do not produce a video with “seeable” video and “audible” audio. If there are ANY factual mistakes in graphics, credits, spelling, etc. I correct them at no additional charge.

I have had clients who “discovered” a spelling error (virtually every time it has been due to a typo on the form they filled out for credits/titles) and tried to wiggle a “tiny change” in some subjective element into the deal. No deal, they pay extra for ALL subjective changes.

All clients have the opportunity, of course, to pay additionally for screenings or reviews at my facility and have any “subjective” corrections they want applied – for an additional charge. All clients also have the option to pay additional and “sit in” on the editing sessions – substantially more money.

Beyond the above, in my agreements for event video (church anniversaries, personal celebrations, weddings, funerals (and I do a boatload of them a year) birthday parties, etc. they pay for my services (usually prior to or upon arrival) and get their video on or before the promised delivery date – no “approval” screenings. The system has worked for me and my clients for nearly 20 years.

If your contract or agreement doesn’t have such a clause included, that doesn’t mean you are NOT protected. Exclusion of a clause that states the production will not be delivered until paid in full does not automatically give ANY client the legal right to presume “screening” or “preview” privileges are in order prior to fulfilling THEIR commitment and agreement to pay. Nor does it automatically and legally provide for them to have subjective edits and changes without having to pay for them.

Rex
      Participant

This client signed a contract and selected my basic package option that specifically details “no editing”. I informed and discussed with the client at the signing that he was choosing the “no edit” package. However, due to the circumstances I would edit the footage at no additional cost. The editing part of the package was by verbal agreement and no documentation was involved. I offered to edit the project based on the circumstances (a memorial) and since I am just starting out in the business, I wanted to get my feet wet and hopefully impress the client with the extra service hoping they write a good review for my business.

All the advice you guys have offered has been incredibly helpful and insightful. I like what EarlC that if this was a business or comerical client, and they opted for one of my editing packages, this would not be a problem. But since this is a private client that is benefiting from my extra labor at no additional cost I will have to remind him that the package he choose did not include the editing option.

I emailed the client today stating that if he wished to preview the completed work I would upload the video to a secure link on my webpage for him to view at his leisure. If after this email he requests to have a hard copy to watch at home, I will deliver him a watermarked copy on DVD, and if after that he makes drastic and irrational demands to edit the project further, I will remind him that under the terms of the contract, he is receiving above and beyond what he paid for and agreed to. If he desires more editing it will add cost to the original agreement and go no further until he pays for the additional service already rendered or at least pay for the rough footage.

EarlC

Rex, I do suggest that rather than using “drastic and irrational” to describe requested changes might be a bit flammable for most people, and seriously open to opinionated debate, use “subjective”. In my experience “subjective” is a good, definitive term for anything other than an obvious mistake that needs correction.

Otherwise, you seem to have a handle on it from here.

Also, in my experience, if it isn’t in writing it isn’t suggested, promised or guaranteed, and certainly subject to a new written agreement or, heaven forbid, an interpretation by the courts. πŸ™

Rex
      Participant

I mean to say if the client wants me to edit the project over and over again. But, you’re right, “subjective” is a more appropriate and professional word. Thanks

birdcat
      Participant

Hi Rex –

To make a flash video, I use On2 Software’s Flix program (only $39 for the standard version – http://www.on2.com/index.php?387).

You could also just render out a low res MP4 directly from Vegas and pop that online and view in a browser just as well.

210pe
      Participant

I am not doubitng anything EarlC says because I enjoy reading his commentary and have learned a lot. I would like to only point out that all states have slightly different laws. Here in SC if there is a “handshake” agreement or something similar itCAN be binding in court. I say ‘can’ only because in court (or in front of the attorneys) everything is up for debate and interpretation. I only caution you not to think just because it isn’t in writing that it is not agreed upon. In my ‘other’ business I got burned by a verbal agreement (and still am being burned) so I urge caution always.

EarlC

This is true 210, but that “handshake” or “verbal” agreement must, No. 1) be witnessed, otherwise it’s a he said, she said, offense/defense and; No. 2) STILL, if able to be substantiated, MUST include and/or verbally exclude agreement elements.

All this is moot if it gets to court where, as you said, “everything is up for debate and interpretation. However, articles of assumption either NOT included in a written contract/agreement, or specifically excluded, are usually considered to be subjective and often tossed out when legal considerations are given.

I am NOT a licensed legal attorney, nor am I qualified to give legal advise in any capacity. Anyone requiring such should consult with a person licensed to legally practice law and give related advice. Any information provided by me is at your own risk and I accept no liability for how such information is used, or the results thereof.

Rob
      Participant

i only briefly skimmed this, but I get the feeling people are advising to limit (or not even allow) changes to the edit.

I totally disagree with that. If your clients want changes, give it to em. If they want it COMPLETELY re-edited, do it. That’s what they are paying you for. That’s your friggin job. If you think the changes are stupid, then don’t use the project for your reel. This should not be a problem if you’re charging an hourly rate and not a flat rate.

Being successful in this industry isn’t about how great your work is. It’s about how many clients you gain/keep. And you’re not going to have clients if you tell them they can’t have changes.

I couldn’t imaging hiring someone to make something for me, and still have to pay them if I didn’t get what I wanted. That’s BS if you ask me.

JackWolcott
      Participant

I pretty much agree with Rob. Re-working a piece is part of the creative process. Your client has a vision of what he/she wants the work to look like: your job is to give them what they want. If you’re making your own video, you can create it any way you want it to look; if you’re working for a client, they should get to make the final call. I personally can’t imagine working as a producer who is being paid by someone else and taking the position that my client doesn’t have the right to ask for changes.

This gets to be a problem when you charge by the “package.” Changes asked for by a client cut into your profit when you have a fixed fee. Most wedding videographers seem to have “package” prices and the attitude that even though the bride is paying for the video she should have no say in what the final product will look like.

One way around this is to separate the shoot and the edit. Give the client a fixed price for the shoot — e.g., 6 hours at $100 per hour: $600. Payment for the shoot is at the conclusion of the shoot. At this point the tape — the raw footage — belongs to the client. Our company has had clients — especially corporate clients — who have paid their money, taken the tapes and gone away to have their tapes edited somewhere else. And it’s becoming increasingly common for people to have editing software on their home computers and to want to “do it themselves.” They don’t feel comfortable shooting good video and getting good sound, but they seem to think they can edit like a pro. If they want the tapes I’ve shot at their party it’s o.k. by me: I’ve been a shooter for hire and have been well paid for my work.

If the client wants us to edit the material, we charge by the hour for our work. We give the client a good faith estimate of what we think it will take to edit the work before we begin — say 10 hours at $75 per hour; and we stress that this is an estimate. We always estimate high. If it looks like it’s going to take substantially more time we discuss this with the client to determine how they want us to proceed.

Once we’ve made a rough cut, the client comes in to look at the work and approve it, or make changes — at $75 per hour. We recently had a client come in to look at a large photo montage we were preparing for her daughter’s graduation, nearly 500 pictures, with video clips thrown in. She liked what we had done but decided to make numerous changes to the picture sequence, including deleting several pictures and adding others. She also decided she didn’t like some of the music she had given us. Bottom line: an additional $350 in re-edits.

You work all of this out contractually so there are no surprises on the part of you or your client. In the long run, you have nothing in life to sell but your time and your talents. I think it’s important to create a business environment in which you get paid a fair price for every hour you sell. Structure your contracts so this happens.

Good luck.

Jack

composite1

“I totally disagree with that. If your clients want changes, give it to
      em. If they want it COMPLETELY re-edited, do it.”

“One way around this is to separate the shoot and the edit.”

Yes, if the client wants changes by all means make them. But you must have a set number of times changes can be made or you’ll never get the thing finished. Case in point; 3/4 of the way through a big corporate production I had a meeting with my primary client and the head of an individual department to view a sequence focusing on his section. Though he liked what he saw, because he’d missed the previous meeting with all of the dept. heads and the changes had been agreed upon, this guy wanted to redo the entire 10 minute sequence from scratch! It was obvious he wasn’t paying for anything because my primary told him sharply, “NO! We are on schedule and on budget. If we start over on your section, it will make us miss our deadline and cost that much more!”

If you’ve got the time and your client is willing to keep paying you to endlessly rework a project, then by all means go for it. More than likely, you’ve got other bookings and other things to do with your valuable time. Now I break up the project into 3 sections, Pre-Production, Production and Post. Each section has it’s estimated price listed in the proposal with a set amount of changes (usually no more than 3.) That’s why you have screenings with the client and get their input during post so that by the time you have your final screening before delivery, everything they asked for will be in there. Now, on occasion as needed, I’ve done a quick audio levels adjustment if time permitted. But a full on reworking just before or after delivery? Absolutely, positively uh-uh!

EarlC

I’m pleased to read that there are those of you who think that continued and ongoing “subjective” changes to a (non-commercial) production (as I noted, EVENTS) is a good business plan. I suppose that those who install roofs, build room additions, remodel garage doors, bathrooms and customize cars should follow the same principle and provide all the changes the client requests at no additional costs.

Granted, some such as myself noted that there were fees and charges involved, depending on the agreement and situation, but to not put some kind of restraint to a compulsion to do multiple changes at no additional fee is contrary to good business practices.

Honing the production, making requested changes until everybody is grinning like a satisfied porker is NOT the way to generate a solid business or make a profit. I totally disagree with ROB’s statement that: “If your clients want changes, give it to em. If they want it COMPLETELY re-edited, do it. That’s what they are paying you for. That’s your friggin job.”

That might be somebody’s job, but it will never be mine. Mine is to produce and perform as promised, to charge reasonable fees for doing so, and to stay in business by not spending an exorbitant amount of time editing, re-editing, and re-editing something that was not agreed upon in the original arrangement for services. Nobody in their right “business” mind would promise or agree to unlimited revisions in any service or product without some understanding that this requires compensation.

Rob, I have no quarrel with you, BUT I do have a quarrel with anyone who “skims” or glosses over a series of posts, then makes comments such as you made without having read them in their entirety. I personally do not believe a person who “skims” or glosses over the content of anything should open his mouth without first having informed himself completely of the contents already provided.

Jack, I’m glad you “pretty much” agree with Rob and didn’t say TOTALLY.

Thankfully you go on to note that there are charges involved with provision of the revision process. Yes, if that is part of the agreement, and the client is aware the he/she is paying for such privileges then by all means, folks, knock yourself out on the “creative process” but know that this is an artist’s approach to it and not good business practice (if you do not charge for these services).

Does ANYBODY really think the service they receive at restaurants, stores, Neiman Marcus or other elite places is not provided for in the prices charged?

“You work all of this out contractually so there are no surprises on the part of you or your client. In the long run, you have nothing in life to sell but your time and your talents. I think it’s important to create a business environment in which you get paid a fair price for every hour you sell. Structure your contracts so this happens.”

Exactly! You don’t do it for free! Some here did not advocate against making changes because they were stupid, etc. Most, in fact, noted that it was likely MORE stupid to do so without charging for them.

There are agreements about pretty much ANY service or product that “limits or does not allow” and based on the prices and promises – rightly so.

Rob
      Participant

Earl,

I get where your coming from, but I didn’t actually skim though. I read each entry entirely until the end of your second entry. After that I skimmed because the posts seemed to get off point. So I really did get the gist of what advice was given out in this thread…

And I never suggested making multiple changes at no additional cost. That’s why I said, “This should not be a problem if you’re charging an hourly rate and not a flat rate.

Rex
      Participant

Shooting and editing are both art forms in and of themselves. That is why the clients are hiring/paying me, you, or any other video production company. We are not just people with good cameras. We are artists and we painstakingly craft our work hours at a time. They pay us for what we know, invision, create, and produce. Anybody can put a camera on a tripod and record an event. However, we can take that boring footage and make it exciting and dynamic. Our client do not have the time or the resources to purchase expensive cameras, editing software, fluid tripods, greenscreens, blu-ray and dvd burners, three hd computer monitors, sdhc cards, camera batteries, camera bags, camera filters and lenses, special software effects, insurance and vaults to secure the equipment from idiots and thieves, or the means to transport, set-up, and tear down that equipment. There is lot more going on behind the camera that our clients do not know about

The reason I started this topic was because the people here have years worth of experience that I can draw from. I know the guys here would have had experience in these types of situations and offer some tips to turn a potentially bad and painful situation, pleasant. The client I spoke of earlier kept demanding a hard copy of the work even after I offered to upload a private web link for him to view the project at his leisure and give me feedback. So My concern became that I would give him a final edited version and he would never pay me the remaining balance of the project. He had only paid half up to that point. The guys here gave me a great idea I had not thought of thought of. They suggested offering him a watermarked copy. That worked perfectly and the customer was very happy and just wanted one thing changed of which I obliged his request.

For future reference, my fear is I just do not want to get stuck with Bridezilla’s that are never satisfied. The client and I, that I spoke of earlier, have reached am amicable agreement that if he wants more editing it will add to the cost of the project. He originally agreed to take posession of the unedited raw footage but later changed his mind. As a curtisy I said I would edit at no additonal charge. I offered him a watermarked proof copy and we discussed that any additional editing would accrue more charges at a standard rate per change. This worked out perfectly. The client understood and even agreed that my time editing was worth a wage.

So all the advice that everyone has given me here has been excellent. I know what you mean, that the customer is paying us for a product. However, there exist reasonable limitations to how much editing one of us can do and still have time to complete others projects. If my footage is that bad, then the customer has the right to take the raw footage to someone else to edit for them. I am just saying that we deserve a wage for our labor.

Rob
      Participant

“Shooting and editing are both art forms in and of themselves. That is why the clients are hiring/paying me, you, or any other video production company.”

Yea, you’re right. It is an art form. But most clients don’t care about YOUR art. They care about THEIR message THEY are trying to get across with the video THEY are paying for. They care about how THEY look in their wedding video. They don’t care about what YOU think is art.

“The client I spoke of earlier kept demanding a hard copy of the work even after I offered to upload a private web link for him to view the project at his leisure and give me feedback. So My concern became that I would give him a final edited version and he would never pay me the remaining balance of the project.”

It’s completely reasonable to be scared of the client running off, however, there are ways to protect yourself, and I’m glad the others provided a solution.

“For future reference, my fear is I just do not want to get stuck with Bridezilla’s that are never satisfied.”

That’s why you find a way to charge an hourly rate and always let them know that more changes means higher costs. They’re not paying for a video. They’re paying for your time. People will eventually stop asking for changes.

Rex
      Participant

Well then Rob, I am pretty sure we agree.

Anonymous
      Inactive

A couple years agoI had a bridzilla (after the fact not during the wedding) that kept asking me to make changes. In my contract, it states that they get an approval copy to look through for spelling and functionality errors (If there is any artistic change they want it will be billed at $150/hr.). They then have 1 week to make me aware of these needed correction.

My first mistake was giving her more than the agreed upon 1 week. I fixed all of the spelling errors, but then she noticed that there were a couple things she wanted to change with the video clips. So I corrected the first set of simple requests.

Then came the second wave of request. I fixed those, then waited another week.

Finally, she made one last request. To this I said, everything should be fine, and I will finishing up your wedding and archiving the project and burning her DVD’s to mail off the next day.

I spent the night finishing everything up…Got the DVD’s made and boxed up for UPS.

Then… wouldn’t you know it, I get an email asking me for one more correction. She didn’t like the song that they danced to for their first dance (because it was special to her husband and his ex-girlfriend), so she wanted me to superimpose a different song on top of it.

Okay, now this is getting ridiculous. I called her and let her know that they were done and boxed and ready to go just as I had stated they would be the night before.

She was yelling about how she had paid for this and would have to watch it for the rest of her life with that song, blah blah blah.

I then sent her a copy of the contract that she signed with the relevant sections highlighted and the costs to do further re-edits.

That was my lesson. Have a contract and stick to the terms.

EarlC

There HAS to be a limit to revisions. I am NOT willing to wait because “People will eventually stop asking for changes.”

There just ARE clients who will ask, and continue to ask, until a businessman does like Event Video Guy did.

I so disagree with the opinion that continued changes and revisions are part of my job. I am of the opinion that, being a professional, I did my job in the first place – short of the occasional misspelling or typographical error. My signed agreement grants me autonomy and even then I am IMHO overly accommodating to many of my better clients.

Most of our clients have common sense and an understanding of agreements and production values. Unfortunately, some do not, and it is not our place as artists, creatives or business people to spend an undue amount of time to hone and polish their product with changes such as EVG pointed out – where a bride has an emotional dislike for a song hubby’s ex-girlfriend happened to like.

I have removed segments containing people the groom or bride didn’t like, if they were not integral to the primary events; I have removed an ex-girlfriend who was presumed to be a part of the funeral because she and the Mom of the deceased son had a falling out; I have removed a gag requested by the groom because he saw it on our demo reel and thought it’d be cute, but it turned out too realistic and the bride and her parents were “horrified” when they saw it, requesting it be removed.

All the above at a cost to the client, that each of them willingly paid to get the results they wanted. Would I have done if for free? Maybe, if they’d been a little less demanding about it, telling me I “WOULD” do it. I have done such things for no charge for clients who were a bit more pleasant in their approach, or overall as a client.

I reserve the right, professionally, to approach these situations as they arise – they rarely do anymore. As EVG says, “have a contract and stick to the terms.”

The gag? We used to do a segment, or segments, with various members of the bridal party, or the dads, even moms, and sometimes certain favored guests, where they pretended to select and steal gifts from the gifts table and sneak out with them. Still goes over well with certain groups, but be careful doing it with ultra-conservative brides (or grooms) and/or parents – clear it with them all before doing this spoof, even if the groom IS a fun-loving party guy.

Rex
      Participant

I am thankful you chaps exist and give your time freely to this forum to help us newbies out of situations like this. Without your knowledgeable advice and experience I would still be arguing with this guy. But with your insightful suggestions all has been handled professionally and the client is quite content with his Memorial video and more importantly my art work as an editor. Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I had a client who wanted a short video for his website. He said his target was 30-50 year old women. We talked more and got ideas. I made the video and he continually made changes after changes.

I cut my loses and walked away. The video he ended up with done by another production company looks like the “Car Soup” commercial..in your face..flashes, spinning graphics. We just weren’t on the same wave length at all. However, I am his target market and I think it’s an annoying ad! He’s 24 year old guy.

So do you give them what they want or what they should have?

birdcat
      Participant

You let them know your professional opinion but in the end, as long as they’re willing to pay for the extra time, you give them what they want.

EarlC

In commercial work is it always good to put things in writing, keep a paper trail. It is in your professional best interest to have documentation of your advice and warnings, professional opinions, even to get them signed off on if at all possible. Not always the case, or possible, but it is my experience that many will bad-mouth you among their peers, blaming you for things that went wrong, get said, or using you for excuses. You won’t always get the opportunity to defend yourself to the accuser or his/her audience; you won’t always WANT to say something negative about that company, owner, representative or whomever, but what goes around comes around and you will often have opportunities to share common sense and the truth with others you come into contact with regarding similar projects.

Always, however, in the end it is as the birdcat says, give your opinion, but if the client is paying a reasonable rate, given ’em what they want and often demand. I would add that there are times when “walking away” provided you are contractually covered is the only way to come out ahead – especially when being associated with a lousy production outcome, reflecting lack of professionalism could come back to haunt or harm your future reputation and business.

emandavi
      Participant

Yeah, I strongly believe that there has to be a limit to revisions. I’ve had clients call me a year later, wanting certain changes…… a year later…. Lesson learned.

doublehamm
      Participant

I do have a 5 day clause in my contract. During that time you are allowed to have any technical aspects of the video fixed – ie spelling, or bad graphics etc. After 5 days, if no notification has been received, the client will be deemed satisfied with the product.

Anonymous
      Inactive

When I started out I was so greeeeen. My first project was a tv commercial for an antiques dealer based on ‘verbal agreement’. Huge mistake. First she wanted the color of the letters changed. Then she wanted the transitions changed. Then she wanted……. on and on until I averaged less than minimum wage for the work. Finally I told her I was going to have to charge for any further editing. Suddenly it was the perfect video. lol Next I sat and put together a written agreement which specifies the details and have held to that. I try to accommodate my clients, but there has to be a limit or you’re better off asking “do you want an apple pie with that Happy Meal?”

ridindrty
      Participant

yeah – one revision and charge for anything beyond that and don’t work with them again.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Wedding and Event Video’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN