Cleaning Heads- New Camcorder

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

I’m new to the forums and to video cams in general…

I just bought a new Panasonic PV-GS400 miniDV camcorder – I absolutely love the camera and look forward to many great years with it…

Since it’s brand spankin’ new, I want to do the right thing when it comes to cleaning the video heads. I’ve heard and read various arguments for and against using head cleaners. I did some searches in the forum and couldn’t find a good discussion.

I read one of the mags that said if you must clean, at least use a “wet” head cleaner tape. Everyone seems to agree the “dry” tapes are nothing more than sandpaper.

I hate sending off equipment for cleaning. I used to send my high-end Minolta SLR equipment for annual clean-repair-adjust – but it was like cutting off my arm to ship it, and I hated being without it for 3 weeks.

Brand new camera, want to start off right- so what’s the best thing to do?

Thanks!!!
      MM
      πŸ˜•

Inactive

I’ve never heard of or seen a “wet” system for mini-dv…only “dry” systems. I think it’s because it has something to do with the way it removes the tape particles from the heads.

I don’t see why it would be like sandpaper. That’s what I’ve been using in my Canon ZR45 and Canon GL2 for years, no problems. Just be sure to clean the tape heads everytime you change tape brands.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap