Churches need to focus on non-distracting good quality stuff

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Worship Video Churches need to focus on non-distracting good quality stuff

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Sorry I totaly went off topic with that.

I meant to say that churches need to be prepared to spend some cash in order to make good quality video.

Participant

Jonathan Decker Wrote:

Sorry I totaly went off topic with that.

I meant to say that churches need to be prepared to spend some cash in order to make good quality video.

Why do you say that? Why would a church need to spend more than anyone else? Seems to me that a church would have a better chance of having equipment donated.

Inactive

It was a bit of a rant. I was merely stating that most religious organizations that I’ve been contracted to do work for seem to have no concept of the expense involved in creating their desired video. And they seem to think it magically happens by inspiration or something. I posted it on a day of frustration.

Participant

Sorry, didn’t mean to jump on you. Just came out that way πŸ˜€ .

Participant

actually, your comment about religious organizations having no concept of the expense is not just a religious thing. there are lots of people out there who don’t get the concept. it just happens that religious organizations generally haven’t been doing as much media oriented stuff as maybe the local car dealership has. don’t get pissed off at someone for being new to a concept. that’ll just drive them away even more. instead, explain it to them and let them see what kind of work goes into it. i’ve done that at a couple churches and organizations and once they see the work, then they understand.

Participant

i43 Productions Wrote:

actually, your comment about religious organizations having no concept of the expense is not just a religious thing. there are lots of people out there who don’t get the concept. it just happens that religious organizations generally haven’t been doing as much media oriented stuff as maybe the local car dealership has. don’t get pissed off at someone for being new to a concept. that’ll just drive them away even more. instead, explain it to them and let them see what kind of work goes into it. i’ve done that at a couple churches and organizations and once they see the work, then they understand.

I have to disagree with your comment about churches not having any more media experience than a car dealorship. Most larger churches create videos of their services. EVERY WEEK.

By the way, who are you? And what are these churches and organizations whos eyes you have opened to the world of video budgeting? I assume you have a website. What is the address? How about sharing some of your work?

Participant

yeah, most “larger churches” have, but the church i grew up in (approx 500 attendance, maybe…) and the one i attend now (even smaller) have little to no media usage. in both churches, “quality media” was a guy with a little handycam shooting VBS teachers and kids smiling and waving.

the point i’m trying to say is that the majority of churches are still learning to use media effectively and as a result, they’re still learning that it’s a lot of work to make something good and it’s also expensive unless you have someone volunteering to work for you.

i’ve also been a part of a media team at a “megachurch” in orlando where we ran a multi-camera setup every week with relays to two other locations. even there, most work was volunteer and we still didn’t have new stuff every week. one big difference there, though, was that there was the budget to do something bigger occasionally and the people involved DID understand the expenses involved with media.

Participant

probably the thing that is most frustrating to you is that most churches DO have a large amount of volunteer/donated work. as a result, it’s entirely plausable that some people will come to expect a free/reduced payment for your services and if they don’t get that, then they’ll find some way to do it on their own…which generally results in crap.

BTW… my website is incomplete (http://www.cyclefly.net/i43/) and a couple of my videos are available for purchase via sermonspice.com here and here

I’ve got another one hopefully going up soon. before you jump on me for lack of videos or anything, i’ve been working in religious media for just under 7 years in various forms but i’ve only recently gone freelance in any way so i don’t have much to start selling myself.

Participant

i43 Productions Wrote:

probably the thing that is most frustrating to you is that most churches DO have a large amount of volunteer/donated work. as a result, it’s entirely plausable that some people will come to expect a free/reduced payment for your services and if they don’t get that, then they’ll find some way to do it on their own…which generally results in crap.

BTW… my website is incomplete (http://www.cyclefly.net/i43/) and a couple of my videos are available for purchase via sermonspice.com here and here

I’ve got another one hopefully going up soon. before you jump on me for lack of videos or anything, i’ve been working in religious media for just under 7 years in various forms but i’ve only recently gone freelance in any way so i don’t have much to start selling myself.

As a matter of fact, I am currently producing a video for my church for national distribution for almost nothing (just enough to recover my cost). So while they expect to be able to get service for cheap or free, it is because they DO get it cheap or free. God isn’t broke.

And, are you telling me that you sell sermons? Like for a profit? Sounds alot like when the money changers were selling sacrificial animals in the temple for a profit. Jesus drove their animals out and scattered their money.

Participant

And, are you telling me that you sell sermons? Like for a profit?

maybe you should look at the site…

it’s a site for sermon illustrations, short videos and other things that are useful for adding depth to a service. do you have a problem with using the gifts and talents given to you by God to make a living?

what kind of video are you making?

Participant

I did look at the site but apparently not closely enough. My apologies. Sorry, I have a bad habit of jumping to conclusions!

I am producing a local home makeover show (called “Project Nehemiah”). My church has done 2 and I edited the last one. I am in charge of producing the current one (currently in post) and it should be done in about 2 weeks.

Participant

i43, I really like the stuff you’ve made so far. The church I attend does not use video at all, at least not yet. What you have there reminds me of some clips I’ve seen at some concerts. It looks very good, and the music is great. Where did you get the music for the God’s Protection one?

Participant

I appreciate your comments on the videos, especially on the music. So far I’ve done the music myself for all the videos on there (that includes my newest).

Speaking of the newest, it’s now available on the same site:here

It’s about a group of people who went to Mississippi to help out with Katrina disaster relief.

the video about “Project Nehemiah” sounds interesting. how are you planning on distribution?

Participant

What did you use to make the music with? Do you have any plans to sell it? Just curious.

Participant

the video about “Project Nehemiah” sounds interesting. how are you planning on distribution?

Fortunately, I don’t have to worry about it at all. The church will be distributing it in the calvary chapel bookstores across the country (there are thousands of them) but I will probably make it available online too.

Participant

I actually used Sonar 5 for the recording and all my audio sweetening. I have Adobe Audition but at least right now i’m too used to Sonar to use Auditon for anything, but i’d like to get more experience because the version of Sonar I have doesn’t allow for 5.1 surround sound mixing.

i haven’t thought about the prospect of selling but i’m open to it if you’re interested.

Inactive

I’m surprised this ever got any readers. Coming back to it now, I realize how ridiculous the post looked. It was one of those, “Why can’t you just give it to us for free ’cause we’re a ministry” excuses that frustrated me. I was making ageneralization that had little or no real foundation. Sorry, if I offended anyone.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap