Choppy DVD playback

Anonymous (not verified)

The DVD movies that Ive made are marginal at best due to choppy playback. Im using Magixs Movie Edit Pro 10 and Verbatim Lightscribe DVD+R; computer is a HP 7160 (Pentium D w/dual core processor, 250 GB drive, 1 GB memory). No problems playing the individual clips downloaded to the computer from the mini-DV using Media Player.

However, once the movie is compiled and burned to the DVD, it becomes choppy during playback, almost as if a few frames are either skipped or deleted during the rendering or burning process. The choppiness doesnt happen for every clip or scene. Its most pronounced in the clips containing motion, either panning the camera or moving objects. Playback problem occurs on our DVD player (3 yrs old) and portable DVD player (1 yr old).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Videoman's picture
What program and what speed are you using to "burn" your discs?

I use Nero 6 and have had trouble with "choppy DVD"

I have a single core processor so everything runs slower than what you have.

My solution was to burn at a slower speed.
Make sue you have no other programs running in the background - especially anti-virus and don't use the computer whilst it's burning your DVD.

Hopes this helps

alohrey's picture
almost has to be your encoding. If you are encoding at too high of a bitrate your dvd player can't keep up when trying to play it. This happens especially in older or cheap players, but none the less you don't want your videos looking bad anytime on anyplayer. I quit using my pc alltogether for burning dvd's I now use my mac and toast, and I have about 300% less problems with dvds.

Later
~Adam

Endeavor's picture
What media are you using? I have an older DVD player (sony) that doesn't do too well with DVD+Rs but works fine with DVD-Rs.

Endeavor's picture
Sounds more like an encoding problem more than a burning problem...Can you try re-encoding the original video?

Endeavor's picture
Do they have tech support?