Choosing the right printer for printing DVD and CD labels

roller_steve's picture

Roller Steve,

Beware of the adhesive labels you throw unto DVD and CDs. They are not good for their respective players, because they add a lot of weight to the disc and can become off-balanced. A better solution is to get a printer that can print on a inkjet printable disc. Well designed inkjet printable discs can look very sharp, and more importantly, they shouldn't destroy anyone's DVD player.

There are also automated disc duplicators that have built in disc printers from Discmakers and Primera. These are much pricier than a standard printer. But, if you plan on doing lots of multiple duplication runs, these might be a good fit.

Good luck finding one, I'm sure there's some folks on the forums who can reply and give you specific feedback regarding a specific model they use.

Best,

Mark

roller_steve's picture
Hello: I have a question regarding printing labels for DVD and CD covers. Today I went to Best Buy and the guy wasn't too helpful in the printer department. I was wondering what is the best way to print labels with a printer. Are there stand-alone printers designed exclusively for printing DVD and CD labels, and covers as well? Or is it the design of the labels that is supposed to work with any printer. I am partial to HP printers and would like to know what is a good one to get for doing this. I want my video projects to look professional inside and out. Also, someone told me a couple months ago at Office Max that DVD labels cannot be printed with standard printers because of the heat that DVD players generate. Does anyone know anything about this? Steve

birdcat's picture
Along with printing on DVD/CD's you could also look into LightScribe - Yes it's slow and monochrome but it does look nice (if you use the highest contrast settings).

Just a thought.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

;0)
;0)'s picture
lightscribe or an epson r300 with printable cd/dvd's

videonovice's picture
I have been burning CDs since my first 2X HP burner and started with DVDs about a year ago.

The printed labels don't always line up correctly within the labeling program or when printing with a IJ printer. Sometimes the paper feeds better than at other times. Depends on the finish of the labels, humidity and other issues. The paper labels have a bad rep for eventually getting air bubbles and supposedly the adhesive causes delamination and deterioration of the top of the Disks. I have only experienced the air bubbles.

LightScribe, the disks are too expensive and the label process is too lengthy. Five minutes to burn a CD and 30+ minutes to burn a lablel. After the initial awe of the built-in-label, I don't like the looks that well. Looks like retro sepia tone.

I have lately been using a Epson R340 which prints on printable CDs/DVDs. The software that comes with the printer is very easy to use and after the initial alignment, it does a very good print job. Just ensure it is not installed too close to something as the CD/DVD tray exits the rear of the printer partially during printing.

Supermediastore.com has good info on the different qualities, options and different types of printable disks. I like the hub printable as they will allow you to print much closer to the hole in the middle of the disk. Sam's Club has the Verbatim printable for about 39.00 for one hundred, but they are not hubprintable.

Supermediastore has frequent sales with free shipping. (I just ordered 8 Sony MiniDV tapes, shipped for 2.40 each) I am only a customer of Supermediastore.

Epson.com at the present has the Epson Stylus Photo R380 (probably a descendant of my R340) for 139.99 after instant rebate with free shipping. With Epson, I am also only a customer.

I think that when you factor in the costs and aggravation of paper labels, that the printable disks come out a little ahead. And I use only Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden Printable Disks and I use the Epson ink. Just my personal preference. For give-away copies of DVDs, I use the cheapest blanks I can find but for archival I use Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden.

Check out cdfreaks.com for lots of good info

jerry

PhilipUK's picture

what about label maker software? I try few different programs. till now the best one is Ronyasoft label maker. some recommendations?

paulears's picture

Seriously? Things have moved on so much since the mid 2000's when this topic started. White label CDs and DVDs are plentiful and cheap, and labels yuckiest thing ever - they ALWAYS peel off, and jam up in players after a while, and it's speeded up if CDs are left on a warm player.

Most manufacturers have a cheap printer than has a CD tray for direct printing onto the surface of a disc.