Choice of 2nd videocam

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m planning to get a Panasonic aghvx200. What’s a good 2nd unmanned camera (below $1500) to best complement the aghvx200? I’m looking for a videocam which sort of comes close to the quality of my 1st camera — I’m concerned more about the video quality once I edit. What I’ll be doing are mostly audio-visual presentations, music videos, & wedding coverages.

Participant

Hi,

From an HD standpoint, the Pannie you are planning to get looks like a winner from the specs. Still, you think youcanget something to complement at less than a third the price of your basic cam !!!

On the other hand,yourplanned cam and consumer/prosumer HDin general still has the low light problem. If you are going tobe shooting weddings in chapel/cathedral/Justice of thePeace waiting room available light conditions, seriously consider making a Sony VX2100 or PD170 your primary cam and your target cam the backup.

Doesn’t look like they are publishing specs on theaudio for target cam. This maymean that this cam shares an interesting aspect of other consumer HD cams: inferior audio to SD cousins. In order to get the 1080 lines, the engineerspoached tape away fromthe audio portion of the tape; more tape space for image, lesstape space than still standard on SD cams for audio. Interesting that there are two XLR inputs on this cam, so could they have solved this problem somehow ?? Needs to be researched if you are doing serious music video/concert work. A separate audio recording deck would be a solution, or a good mike cabled/transmitted into astandard def PD170 backup cam.

If I had the money you are going to spend on your cams (($6-7K), they way I shoot, typically ENG style, away from studio lighting, I’d pick up two PD170’s. HD isin my future not my present.

Caveat Emptor Rules !!!

REGARDS … TOM

Participant

Thanks Tom. I’ve already ordered the aghvx200 so I don’t think I can afford to buy another one of the same price range. For the second camera, do you think I should buy the same brand? If so, what model do you recommend and if not, what should I get? I’m a little low on funds already so my budget is something that’s $1500 or below.

Participant

BnH is selling the SonyVX2100 for $2200, plus let’s say another $100 for battery that will last 10 hours. This is “only” $800 over your budget. Well worth it if there’s any way you can swing it. (Maybe you have some art around the house you can sell ???) BTW, the viewfinder on the 2100 is in color, very helpful when doing precise exposure setting. While you can activate LCD and viewfinder on the PD170 simultaneously (with 2100 you choose one or other), the viewfinder on the 170 is black n white. Maybe you can team up with somebody with a good high end prosumer cam and collaborate on projects. Doesn’t get much play in the forums, but it helps tremendously to have good team mates if trying to make a mark in video. Ever seen afilm at a shorts film fest, even a 2 minute film, with only one name on the credits. As long as I breathe, I digress.

Whatever your tool, keeping shooting !!!

REGARDS … TOM

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap