Check out my videos please..

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

http://www.youtube.com/user/tjftor

Check out my videos please..

Thank you

TJF,

Okay I watched 3 of your vids, ‘Tunnel Vision’, ‘Graveyard Erotica’ and the ‘God Created Firemen….’ You are no doubt an amateur shooter and what I saw is typical of what I complain about on the ‘Tube.

Now, that said I will say that you do have an ‘eye’ for this kind of thing but no training whatsoever. I was really disappointed with the ‘Tunnel’ and ‘Graveyard’ vids. They both started out looking to be very intriguing ideas, but you didn’t do anything with them. For example;

On the tunnel vid, you’ve got this wonderfully framed, focused and exposed shot of the rear of the subway train facing out into the underground station. The visual of the train moving into the tunnel is stunning and I could feel the wind and the enclosed space as I watched. And that was it. You didn’t show the front view or a side view outside the window or anything else. You just hung on the original shot on and on. Halfway in I started fast forwarding to see if anything changed which it didn’t and you lost me.

Same thing goes for the Graveyard thing. You just seemed fascinated with the stone boobies of one statue. Never did you give us a shot of the whole cemetery and out of a whole ‘garden of stone’ you could only find one half naked statue? You did put the one of the cherub at the end but it looked like an afterthought you just stuck on the end.

The Fireman vid was really disappointing because here you had a human drama and were too timid to show it. Yeah, yeah, I know ‘They wouldn’t let me get any closer’. I’ve dealt with that more times than I can count. But nothing was stopping you from ‘zooming in’. You did move around some to get different angles, but not enough to get anything better than ‘Newsie’ looking footage. And on top of that, you ‘missed’ the ‘payoff’ shot when they got the person out of the car and stuck on that clip of the person’s feet sticking out just as they put him into the ambu. Oh I could have screamed!

Technically, I must say ‘Stop using Auto focus, Auto zoom and Auto Exposure!’ Stop it and stop it now. You have some really good shots set up and they are getting ruined by the focus and exposure going in and out randomly. It’s irritating. Learn how to shoot with your manual settings as they will help you maintain consistent picture quality and keep your images from looking ‘Tubish’.

Now you may feel you’ve been criticized too harshly, but know that when I started out doing this stuff I was just a little above the skill level you are. I had an eye and some training but I was working professionally. When it came time for my first critiques I got dragged over the coals in every direction you could think of. It hurt at first, but it made me a much better shooter. I strongly advise you to look through VM’s free ‘how to’ vids as I believe they will help you put your eye and shooting skills on the same page. With more shoots under your belt and a better understanding of video story telling, I’ll expect to see your work showcased on Vimeo!

My (non professional) input (agreeing mostly with what composite1 said, and adding my thoughts): you have some good ideas and if you can build on them, they’d be even better. For example with the subway, you could show the train whipping by from outside and then switch back to your footage of the tracks, even playing that backwards so it looks like now you’re going forward (if that makes any sense). Viewers wouldn’t be able to tell forward from backward, I’d bet, but if you want to shoot from the front, all the better. For the cemetery, show other statues and show some wide shots (they don’t have to be from the same place–viewers won’t know that, of course). The statue you did show was pretty racy–I never would think to film it, but without going into to detail about it, let’s just say that it was a bit more detailed and anotomically correct than you would expect to find in a cemetery, which is exactly what I think you were trying to express in your video. So, on that note, you succeeded for sure. Building on it a bit more can only help sell the ideas you’ve got, and they are interesting ones to put it lightly. I’m not into the types of things you’re shooting (statues of cows farting, for example) but that doesn’t mean other people won’t like it. In fact, I wouldn’t surprised if a DVD of these ideas sells. Who would have thought Jackass would be a big hit? Not me, but it takes all kinds. All I can say is keep filming your ideas, keep looking for feedback, and see where it leads. Good luck!

Participant

i clicked through a few. I just saw random shots of stuff. Time to start tellin’ some stories and get comfy in the edit suite.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2020

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap